ibook performance

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by derboy, Aug 26, 2005.

1. derboy macrumors regular

Hi all

I doubt many other people are in the same boat as me, ..but its now done. Most of my university work is on PC design/engineering apps. And i only need a mac for rendering, presentations, office apps, surfing, music blah.... The PC can do the rest of the work.

...So long story short, I sold my duel 1.8 Loaded g5 and have orderd a 12 ibook for the portability. They are pretty cheap, especially when compared to the dusty powerbooks.

Does anyone have an estimate regarding how slow the ibook will be compared to the pmac. Dont spare the details, I think i'm prepared for the worst!! So hopefully i will be surprised. It only needs to last as long as it takes for the Wintel laptops to come out anyway. :)

Thanks

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it's going to be a lot slower, obviously... processor, video memory, bus speed, etc...

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For system stuff, the difference is negligible assuming you've got adequate RAM. However, anything even slightly intensive and you'll start to notice quite a difference, mainly with the rendering. Office, presentations (PowerPoint or Keynote), surfing the web are pretty much the same on both though.

4. CTSxViper macrumors regular

Agree with the above posts. I have both, a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0ghz and a new 12" IBook. IBook is fine until you run graphics intensive software, then you see the difference. But for basic school work, you should be fine, just make sure you have plenty of ram in it.