Ibook Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fire365, Jul 30, 2005.

1. fire365 macrumors newbie

Hello all I was wondering if you guys thought a new ibook could handale photoshop well. I am going to be switching to mac in a few weeks (though I have been using them for desktop publishing in my yearbook class) and I was wondering I am going to be going to college in a month and I don't have that much money to spend another 600 bucks on a powerbook so I was wonder if a 14in ibook would do the job well. I would put a gig stick of ram myself and I work with photoshop files from a D70 that could go up past 200mb in size. I'm going to go to the local apple store with my friend tommrow (well technically today) and check the ibook out again so I would really like any help you could give.

2. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

hmm files going upto 200mb??? how does your D70 make those hahaha, ok I know you mean files with layers etc...

well before I got my G5 I worked on a TiPowerbook G4 400 with 1GB of ram and it wasn't fast but worked ok... so an iBook should be fine... there is allways something faster, but not portable
    one thing: I've heared that the colour/luminosity of the iBooks is not so good, PowerBooks have better screens... so perfect calibration might be an issue... but buy the EyeOne calibrator its quite good even for 'bad' screens, but you should know: don't ever trust a screen blindly... measure your colours to be sure about things for instance my screens shows 'details' in white parts that cannot be printed so sometimes I look to my screen and think: damn whats that shade doing there, but its invisible to print (and I don't see it on other screens, so its only here ;-)

and as you know photoshop eat ram alive, get as much as you can get...

there is one photoshop theory: take the size of you biggest file you commonly use wich is 200mb in your case? x3 = the minimum amount of ram needed to work nicely with Photoshop
    set your memory settings in photoshop to 75% (leave some space for other things...)
    and get Photoshop CS2 because file browser is now bridge a standalone program thus not slowing down photoshop as it used to do ;-)

but there is as I said only one rule: get enough ram

a friend has 3GB ram in his G5 and when I come over with my big scans (1,2GB) they open like it were small jpegs :p
    mine has to start thinking a little bit then ;-)

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This thread, Photoshop on an iBook, is 2 days old, and should answer your question, too.

Please use the search function before posting new threads, or at least browse the last couple of days at the forums...