Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
I'm using an iGo Juice 70 power adapter for my iBook and I've noticed something that I was a little worried about. I bought my iBook refurb about 2 weeks ago and when it arrived the Apple power cord was damaged, pin was missing and the ring was messed up bad. I explained that to the company and the new adapter should be getting here Tuesday. For the time being I picked up the iGo because I travel a bit plus I was desperate to make sure the iBook was working. Anyway, I found that I have to position the power cord a certain way to get a good connection for the computer to charge and run on AC power. I have to turn the piece that connects to the computer until I see the charging icon or the little plug icon. I was thinking that may just be because it is a universal charger and not the OEM Apple one. Even just opening the CD tray will sometimes move it enough to stop charging. When it does make a connection it does charge the battery, but you have to hit that "sweet spot" for it to work. Think having the original Apple charger will help or could this be a bigger issue?

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
It could definitely be a bigger issue. :(

I never had problems with my 2 iBooks (G3 and G4), but I had a friend whose PowerBook connector was just like that (had to move it around to get it to charge). Unfortunately there's no good way to fix this.

So here's hoping that getting a real Apple power adapter will fix your issue.

P.S. Thank goodness for the new MagSafe power adapter on my MacBook!!

garfield2002

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
Certainly try the new adapter when it arrives. If the problem is still there the connector inside of the computer may be faulty, in which case you will want Apple to repair it. For a laptop the intermittent connection is not usually a problem becuase of the battery. However, cutting the power so many times a day cannot be good for the life of the battery.

I sympathize with your situation as I had an old compaq laptop with the same problem, since it did not have a battery everytime the connection was lost the computer shut off. :)

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Do you think that if there is a problem that it would be an expensive fix at Apple? I don't have Apple care, but I'm still under warranty with the company I bought from. Problem is that they are in CA, and I'm in NY and I don't want to send it to CA and be without a computer for a week or two. So, I'm hoping if it's not too expensive that they'll be willing to reimburse for whatever the charge may be. Plus, I've switched all my files over and I'd hate for them to say they will just replace it instead of fixing it, which is how it seems they operate. At least with Apple I have a store 15 mins away vs like 3000 miles lol

garfield2002

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
When you said refurbished I thought you bought it from Apple. Certified refurbs from Apple are covered by the 1 year warranty. If you bought a refurb from another company (I don't know if other vendors are allowed to sell certified refurbs) you are probably at the mercy of their warranty or return policy. If there is a question, asking nicely at the Apple store might be the fastest way to determine if you have a certified refurb and can get warranty service. It is free to talk to a Apple store genius. Yes, the repair cost will probably be considerable. To repair the connector the iBook will have to be disassembled at the Apple store this is called Level 2 service. If not under warranty I think level 2 alone (no parts) is $100 or $150.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
CD Tray?

Oh. This is a G3?

Don't understand how you got an Apple refurb. But if it is an Apple refurb, I am completely interested in how you might get extended Applecare on a 2002 computer up until the year 2009!

That would have to be some sort of record.

However, I do know an Apple reseller who has a 2003 G5 new in box, so that's interesting, too.

Get a G4 poweradapter, end of story.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Wait...what? I don't think I ever said it was an Apple refurb. It's an Apple manufactured product that has been refurbished by a third party company. I don't remember saying it was an Apple refurb. I don't have Apple Care, I have a 90 day warranty from the company I bought from.

BTW, how would a G4 power adapter help me? The company is sending me the OEM 45w charger for my iBook under warranty.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
If I've understood your post correctly, the iGo charger is the one that is fussy about the position of the power cord, right? If so, then it's simply because there is a break in the cable, probably near the plug that goes into the iBook. Flexing the cable in the right direction just allows the broken cable ends to connect. It's not a major problem, but not very satisfactory to have to live with, as it'll get worse, and there is a (remote) possibility that arcing inside the cable will cause it to heat up.
If this fault is apparent with both the iGo and the Apple charger, then it could well be a fault on the computer power socket, possibly where the socket is joined to the printed circuit board inside the casing.
If you're handy with a soldering iron it's not difficult to repair the iGo power lead - it's a common problem with this sort of thing as the cables get a fair amount of abuse in normal use - coiling, uncoiling, stuffing them in bags, pulling them about etc.

garfield2002

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
I bought my iBook refurb about 2 weeks ago

The term refurb and the time frame confused me into thinking it was a newer machine. My advice is to first try the new power adapter and see if the problem still exists. If it does the power adapters are likely not to blame and the problem lies in the iBook. Given the cost of repair and your 90 day warranty with this company I would return the computer. I hope this is more clear, I didn't mean to confuse you. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I never had problems with my 2 iBooks (G3 and G4), but I had a friend whose PowerBook connector was just like that (had to move it around to get it to charge). Unfortunately there's no good way to fix this.

It can go both ways. It can be a dented port on the Mac (or a line connection on that side) or it can be dent in the cable end, or a line short in the cable. I have an adaptor with a dented end and it does this also, but my iBook has no issues with my other adaptor. And it's not a danger particularly... the iBook is on the adaptor (sitting next to my iMac -- it's sleeping right now) that has the dented end right now and I feel totally safe with it. The end dented... I think 1.5 years ago and I've been using it more than half time with that iBook since then.

If it's a shorted cable, it's a different story. You can tell to some extent, because if you hold the plug in place and wiggle the cable gently, it will cause problems if its the cable but not if its the plug, and conversely, if you rotate the plug and it does change whether or not it makes contact, it's usually the plug.

If it's a shorted cable, it's a fire hazard. So That's different.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Now FedEx tracking says it won't be here until Thursday :eek: . This thing can't come fast enough lol. The only reason I'm a little nervous is because the iGo is only about a week old, so unless that too happened to be defective out of the box, but I don't know. This is the picture of the tip I'm using http://www.igo.com/product.asp?sku=2700919 If you look you can see that white piece is curved near the end of the barrel causing it to not be 100% flush with the computer. So I'm hoping that the Apple adapter which is nice and flat/round will sit 100% flush against the computer and make a better connection. Though, the iGo connector seems to be nice and snug inside the socket.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
I have noticed one thing that stays constant. I've been playing with the iGo connection for a little while to do some little tests to try and narrow things down and see if you guys can make anything of it. There is only one "sweet spot" There is only one certain postition that the connector can be in for the connection to stay steady. Don't know if that means anything to you guys, but seemed like it could mean something.

Specifically it's when the connector is in a vertical position and when the #15 on the top of the tip is facing me. Check out the picture in the post above to see what I'm talking about. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I thought I would throw it out there. If I can hit that spot, it's a guarantee...as long as I can get it in the right spot.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Well the power adapter got here today and the it's still the same crap. I think it's actually an older Powerbook adapter though. The piece by the LED is silver, not white. Connection seems to be the same so I don't think that makes much of a difference. Either way it's still doing the same thing. Still have to turn it until it makes a good enough connection to charge. I was hoping the adapter would fix the problem, but apparantely not. Any other suggestions?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Well the power adapter got here today and the it's still the same crap. I think it's actually an older Powerbook adapter though. The piece by the LED is silver, not white. Connection seems to be the same so I don't think that makes much of a difference. Either way it's still doing the same thing. Still have to turn it until it makes a good enough connection to charge. I was hoping the adapter would fix the problem, but apparantely not. Any other suggestions?

Return the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.