Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crimsoncircles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Hope this is the right place to put this topic, couldn't find it anywhere else fitting.

What I don't understand is that we used to have two kinds of laptops
Ibooks in 12'' and 14''
Powerbooks 12'' 15'' 17''

This is being turned into
Macbook 13''/13.3'' (rumours suspect)
Macbook Pro 15'' 17''

Basically we're going from having good laptops and better laptops, to one type in different sizes. As much as the move to intel is good for speed, does make me wonder A) how long they will keep Ibooks and Powerbooks up for sale, and B) what the price differences from IB to PB and now MB will be?

I have a PB because it was faster and in 12'' had everything I would use for the next few years. My Gf got an Ibook because they were cheaper. So what happens to all the people that don't want to have to pay for a MB 13'' but would have bought an Ibook because it was cheaper?

Perhaps they will say, Macs are too expensive, I'm going elsewhere...
And buy a dell or something.
I don't know. Just think they've shot themselves down a little for limiting the types of laptops they seem to be producing.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I'm thinking you might be a bit confused.

The MacBook Pro has replaced the 15.2" and 17" PowerBooks with the 15.4" and 17" models. You cannot buy a 15" or 17" PowerBook anymore, they were discontinued with the release of the respective sized MacBook Pros.

The rumoured MacBook will replace the 12" and 14" iBooks with a rumoured 13.3" model. It will come in at either the same price or slightly higher as the iBook which will be discontinued.

Depending on how Apple want to move, a 13.3" MacBook Pro could also be released to replace the 12" PowerBook. Or they could just have a higher specced MacBook to do the same job - the 12" PB was essentially an iBook with ever-so-slightly better kit.

We will continue to have good (MacBook) and better (MacBook Pro) laptops. The MacBook is the cheaper option, the MacBook Pro the one you buy for extra grunt.

They are two types of laptops, not one type in different sizes. All that's changing is the name.

PAST -> -> -> -> -> -> -> ->FUTURE
iBook 12" 14" -> -> -> -> -> MacBook 13.3"
PowerBook 12" 15" 17" -> -> MacBook Pro (13.3") 15" 17"

Basically the reason you see the iBook and 12" PowerBook on the store now is because there is nothing Intel-based that is equivalent to these machines. The price between the MacBook -> MacBook Pro will most likely be similar to the old iBook -> PowerBook.

crimsoncircles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Well that makes alot more sense to me, cheers.
Is indeed interesting to see what happens with the release that is to take over ibooks and maybe powerbook 12''. Didn't think Macbook pro would be in a small size like that, but is very wise decision for them to do so if they do I think.
That'd make more sense. Macbook 13.3'' (or whatever you said was) replacing ibooks and the Pro version replacing powerbook 12''. Sounds better to me.

Still happy with my PB 12'' decision though. Should last me few years i've planned.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
crimsoncircles said:
Well that makes alot more sense to me, cheers.
Is indeed interesting to see what happens with the release that is to take over ibooks and maybe powerbook 12''. Didn't think Macbook pro would be in a small size like that, but is very wise decision for them to do so if they do I think.
That'd make more sense. Macbook 13.3'' (or whatever you said was) replacing ibooks and the Pro version replacing powerbook 12''. Sounds better to me.

Still happy with my PB 12'' decision though. Should last me few years i've planned.

No worries, glad I could clear it up. The 13.3" screen will most likely be a 16:10 widescreen - marking the end of 4:3 in Apple's line-up.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Simplifying the line this way makes sense for many reasons bu also makes it easier for Apple to slip in its own tablet Mac at some point should it go that way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.