Ibook, Powerbook or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by galstaph, Aug 24, 2005.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I finally am in a position to buy and I am trying to decide what to get. I know that I don't really want to wait until the mac-intels are released and 'perfected'. I'm just looking for advice, what would be the best buy? A current pb? an ibook or see if september does give us new pb's? I am just wondering what would have the longest shelf life in terms of usability, I don't want to be worried about software issues in 2 years (hence why windows laptops, although sometimes pretty, are out of the question). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

Do you qualify for the edu discount? If you do, the you should get one before 9/24 and save on it....IMHO, there wont be any drastic changes with the PB line if any....also you would have to use your judgement about whether the current linne suffices for your use...if it does, then why wait??? As for IB or PB, thats a whole debate....if you will be buying the 15' or 17'PB, the there you go....but if you are getting the 12 PB, then you could consider the IB....everything is almost the same...only problem is the 32mb graphics card....so your choice I guess....I got a 12PB coz I wanted to ......all the best!!!

3. galstaph thread starter macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Yeah, I get the edu discount. I'm thinking of the 12" or maybe the 15, I helped my brother switch last year into a 1ghz 15 and his is pretty sweet, but I'm not sure i really need the size of the 15, and the 12 does pretty much all I think I'd need. I'm just not sure if the ibook or pb will do better in the long run.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Either machine will be fine in two years so if you want the best possible Mac laptop at the moment, go for the 15 inch PowerBook. However, if you're contemplating the 12 inch screened PowerBook, I'd recommend the iBook instead since the differences are marginal. You may as well save your money for other things, like RAM. :)

5. Hattig macrumors 65816

Either get a 12" iBook or a 15" PowerBook.

I think the 12" PowerBook doesn't offer enough of the current iBook 12", unless you have an urgent need for DVI output. Then again, if you do, maybe you should get an iBook 12" and a Mac Mini. It's what I am going to do (well, I've got the iBook now and I am extremely happy with it, Mac Mini will be in a couple of months or so).

Buy an iBook now, but for a PowerBook or Mac Mini I'd hold out for a real update next month.

6. lopresmb macrumors 6502

I agree, the 12" PBook is just not a great deal right now.

7. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

WAIT 'TIL SEPTEMBER to see what Apple has in store.

8. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I just went through this. I was deciding between the 12"ibook (to use for about 2yr) 15"pbook (to use for about 3-4yrs) or just wait it out. I went for the 15" powerbook now and have not regretted it, and frankly don't expect to at the end of september either. THERE WON'T BE ANYTHING HUGE FOR THE PB AT PARIS! It just doesn't make sense, Apple would never make money off of something big. Sure, if you are planning to buy a week or two before paris you might consider waiting, otherwise I wouldn't think twice if you need a comp. now.

As for IB/PB, this is my primary computer, so I couldn't imagine dealing with anything less than a 15" screen in terms of screen space (remember 12"iBook = 14"iBook in screen real estate). I travel every weekend in the winter, so I was tempted by a 12" screen, but now I think it would have been a big mistake.

9. kimchimonkey macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm gonna wait till september 24th. I'll get by without a computer for a month.
    I know the updates aren't expected to be a lot, but for me a little increase (bigger hd.. better graphics .. etc) is still worth 1 month. I would wait if you don't need it right now. It really depends on if you can be happy with the current powerbook. To me I want a powerbook, but the difference between the powerbook and ibook now is so small that buying it now just seems like a rip off.
    I know I won't be happy if I buy it now and if there happens to actually be some decent updates on the 24th. Seems unlikely, but I'd rather be safe.

10. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Add another vote for either the 12iBook or 15PB. The 12PB is just not a good deal right now. I have the 12ibook and it has been fantastic, of course if in need of more juice the 15PB also gets a high reccomendation from me.

11. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

im on the same boat. but what kinda ticks me off is that i want a 12" powerbook. i looked into what u guys said, but then noticed that the 12" ibook doesnt support a super drive. i want a super drive, so all im left is the 12" powerbook...

12. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

second to that. and, in my opinion, DO NOT buy the powerbook if you don't really know that you need the extra horsepower & screen space. that is a waste of money just for aluminum case and bragging rights. if you don't know why powerbook is better, your money is better spent on ibook. if you need it, you know it. if you need to ask, you don't know. buy the ibook.

13. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

If you need it now get an 14" iBook.

If time is not an issue wait until Sept and see if the PB gets a bump.

my 3¢

14. jjmaximum macrumors member

iBook AND iMac

You can currently buy a 12" iBook AND a 17" iMac for the same price as a 15" PBook (w/Superdrive)...not much to think about.

15. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

jj is right.... check it..

Attached Files:

16. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Damn! The powerbooks really are crappy deals nowadays. I cannot wait until Yonah is in the wild.

Hickman

17. BlueT macrumors member

It's interesting that you guys are always talking about having an iMac and an iBook, instead of a Powerbook, as if the base prices are all to consider. So untrue, it's silly, really.

First, you have to pay for AppleCare on two items. Second, you have to buy all the necessary accessories for the laptop, which in my case, ran me an extra 600 bucks (RAM, sleeve, bag, keyboard cover, tiny software apps, upgrade to Tiger (or Leopard in a year, family license)).

Total cost of ownership of my 12 inch Powerbook w/Applecare and edu discount to date? Around 2000. Now throw an iMac into the mix...

Buy a powerful laptop and the iMac becomes completely unnecessary. Wait for the intel Powerbooks and watch that puppy fly. Unless there is a huge, compelling, dead computer at home, you can wait a year and see what happens. Then, buy a pimped out Powerbook and enjoy it for 4-5 years. Or sell it after 2-3 years and still get a lot of money back.

Buying two computers seems like a good idea, but once you buy all the pieces that fit the puzzle, you'll find that total cost of ownership is huge; much, much larger than simply buying one powerbook.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It always good to weigh up all your options. ;)

AppleCare is optional. The idea behind getting a desktop and a cheap laptop is that you don't have to option up the iBook since the iMac is used for all the "hard stuff" whilst the iBook handles the "light" stuff.

We are talking about the 15 inch PowerBook which is far superior (and more expensive) than the 12 inch one. I think the 12 inch PowerBook is currently the worst Mac in terms of performance per dollar however that is irrelevant plus performance per dollar is not the only factor to base a purchase on. There are other factors such as aesthetics, functionality etc. :)

The G5 is so much faster than the G4 it's not funny. And that's before you add in the other components such as hard drive, GPU etc. Plus, for some people, waiting for the Intel PowerBook may not be an option. We don't know when it will arrive, let alone what sort of specs and price it will have. Comparing an Intel Mac to a current Mac is futile and worthless.

Even if it costs marginally more, there are other benefits such as having a back up machine if one ever goes down or if someone else want s to use one. I agree, there is a place for the PowerBook in this world, but most people don't need a laptop that is all that powerful. Most people can get away with doing their intensive stuff at home and having a light laptop to do small stuff on the go. Sure, this doesn't suit everyone, but I'd say it's an appropriate solution for a large group of us (including me :p ).

19. BlueT macrumors member

And before anyone gives me grief, my PB cost to date was $2000 and climbing. The equivalent iBook is only $450 less for a far less powerful processor, graphics card, hard drive, dual display capability, etc etc etc.

The old iBook could not compete with any of the Powerbooks, period. They AREN'T the same, at all. And when the new intel Powerbooks come out, Apple will once again put the Power back into their flagship laptop.

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, too late. :p

21. BlueT macrumors member

Ha! That's a joke, right? My iMac had its logic board replaced because of a bad ethernet port. Total cost? 450 bucks. My powerbook's harddrive is slowly failing...replacement cost w/labor? At least a couple hundred bucks. Hell, with the logic board replacement, I made back the money from the iMac AppleCare and it defrayed the cost of my Powerbook Applecare.

No, actually, it's not. It's marginally better. In fact, when I purchased it, the only difference was the video card (GEForce vs. AGP), .17 Ghz extra processor speed, slightly better RAM alignment, and a bigger screen, for 425 more (including tax).

Single processor 1.8 Ghz G5 vs. Single processor 1.67 Ghz G4? You're dead wrong.

When it takes the place of a desktop, then yes, people DO need a laptop that is all that powerful.

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You get a free year of AppleCare, that's enough for most users. I'm happy for you that you bought it though considering the troubles you had.

The 12 inch PowerBook is just not as good as the 15 inch one in any respect other than weight and portability, but that's pretty marginal anyway. Plus, we're talking about the current PowerBooks, not the ones that were available when you bought your Mac. This thread is about galstaph, not you. :)

Umm... Anything to back up your claim? The iMac has faster FSB, RAM, CPU and hard drive. It's a desktop, you'd expect it to be faster, right? It doesn't have to make compromises with power consumption and size.

I agree, some people need the PowerBook. They need the fastest laptop possible. However, this isn't the case for everyone. :)

23. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

This is so entertaining!!! Mad Jew vs Blue T...lol jk :p ...but to be honest it was great listening to both of your sides. but blue t is right, you HAVE to HAVE apple care....

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Them 're fighten' words, them 're. :mad:

:D

I personally haven't needed AppleCare but maybe I'm just lucky. I do try to look after my Macs as well as possible if that counts for anything however something like a logic board failure is not the users fault.

Knowing my luck, I'll have a dual logic board failure on both my Macs tomorrow. :(

25. galstaph thread starter macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm now leaning toward the ibook I think, or maybe I might be able to get a good deal on a current pb when they announce the changes... might have to hold off for a bit till later sept. I just have a question, what is the real world battery life of the 12" ibook, the 12" pb and the 15" pb? Any input is appreciated.