ibook/powerbook questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PismoGuy, Aug 15, 2004.

1. PismoGuy macrumors member

Hello everybody!

Recently I started working at my college and with the dawn of the school year I am obligated to purchase a laptop. I will be spending 14 hrs at school each day with some time between classes to do my homework/project/papers...etc. My budget is flexible, but I would like not to exceed $1500. I have narrowed my dilema down to a 12" ibook and 12" powerbook. The laptop will be used for the usual office apps as well as for programming (C++ and Mathematica), and an occassional game or two. Mind you that I would very much purchase a G5 tower when curcumstances permit; for heavier apps/gaming.

first question: did any of you try to install mac os 9 and boot from it? Can it be done? (I assumed that the ibook would have an easier time with this)

second question: when where the current ibooks/powerbooks introduced and when should I expect new revisions?

third question: I have heard a awful lot about the next line of the powerbooks to be G5's, if this is the case woud it effect the resale value of the current line up significantly?

just one more: Is it just me or is the LCD brighter and crisper on the 14" ibook?

side note: I really do not need a superdrive, I have one in my emac. I will purchase any additional ram from crucial.

2. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

By the time you add sufficient RAM to the iBook and get Applecare, you're going to be over your limit already. The 12" Powerbook will toss you well over $2000, especially when you consider that you'll probably want a bag to put it in.

I just ordered a 12" iBook myself– my first new Apple since the 6100 pizza box.

Good luck! - j

3. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I can answer one of your questions. OS9 cannot be run on the Powerbooks. You can run classic which is a scaled down version of the OS9 software that will run most programs. As for the iBook, I am unsure of it's capabilities regarding OS9

aussie_geek

4. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

none of apple's current computers (cept for powermac g4) can boot os 9. There are hacks floating around that make it possible on some of the newer machines (including rev A g5's) but its not recommended.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Which eMac model do you have? If you're looking at an iBook, chances are it will not be much, if any, faster than your eMac (especially for games). If you want to game on this laptop, you need to get the 12" Powerbook because it has the 5200FX 64MB. This is also important because Core Image (feature in Tiger) requires at least a 5200FX (that leaves the iBook behind already). If you want this thing to last (even if not for games) you should really get the 12" Powerbook.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Jebus. Well to each his own! How many credits is that, anyway?

If you're on the fence, this is a tough choice. I personally prefer the PowerBook -- for design and power -- it has that extra edge that the iBook doesn't. But you pay for that edge... and the iBook is an excellent computer as well.
    Neither computer can boot from OS 9, but both can run it through Classic Mode.
    They were updated in April of this year... you should check out the Buyer's Guide on this website. These models have a projected 2-3 months to go before a revision (based on the average).
    The PB G5 is already a huge guessing game, so resale value is totally up in the air. But you shouldn't really worry, all PowerBooks and even the iBooks hold their value well, especially compared to their PC counterparts.
    I think they use the same screens. The PB may have seemed dimmer if there wasn't much lighting... the ambient sensor maybe, or someone lowered the settings.

7. PismoGuy thread starter macrumors member

>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I have the 800mhz superdrive one
    100mhz bus
    2x agp geforce 2mx
    768mb ram

>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Gaming isn't too much of an issue. I used to game alot on my powerbook g3 (500mhz)(R.I.P.) it wasn't bad but hey. The emac took over in that department; it runs most games including UT2k3 just fine (I love high settings, but I am fine with low / medium)
    I try / can't game too much during school... good grades now = good job= $ for gaming system. Hopefully I will still like gaming:))

>>>>>>>>>>>>
    What is this "Core Image" of which you speak?
    advanced Quartz?

>>>>>>>>>>>>
    as far as do I want it to last... at least until end of next year (I will probably sell it on ebay and pool my money for a 15" PB)
    This is more of a temp thing ... I need a laptop nowish.

8. PismoGuy thread starter macrumors member

I have a student discount
    12" PB w/ combo = 1399
    12" PB w/ superdrive= 1599 <= I could probably stretch that far if need be.

9. PismoGuy thread starter macrumors member

Well, I am taking 18 credit hours this semester just 3 more than usual; plus I am working 6 hrs a day.

FYI
    English 102 3hrs
    General Physics 5hrs
    Calculus 3 4hrs
    world religions 3hrs
    Programming for engineers 3hrs
    3+5+4+3+3=18

10. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

core image is a feature in Tiger that allows advanced graphics features.

this is a messege for another post:
    AND PEOPLE IT DOES NOT REQUIRE THE CARDS LISTED ON APPLE.COM IF YOU READ CAREFULLY IT SAYS IT SCALES DOWN FOR OLDER CARDS. OK!!!!!