ibook problem, shut down/start off problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by brsboarder, Mar 14, 2004.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

i just bought a new ibook, did a reinstall of os x, and installed a couple programs. My computer seems to be running extremly slow compared to what i think it should be running especially w/ my extra 512 ram, and, if i dont do a proper shut down, its almost impossible to restart, i have to do it a hundred times, shut it off etc, and then, its really slow on the boot, what could be wrong?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Possibly the RAM. If you installed it yourself, take it out and boot with the standard 128. It would probably be slower anyway though :rolleyes:

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i would also remove the ram and check if same thing happens again..if yes
    then reset the power manager. it may help..
    press and release shift+option+control+power...wait for 5 seconds..press the power button. you will have to reset your date and time if you do this..
    as per the bootup time, on your terminal write
    sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl
    press enter..it would significantly reduce your bootup time..
    hope it helps

4. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

as per the bootup time, on your terminal write
    sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl
    press enter..it would significantly reduce your bootup time..
    hope it helps[/QUOTE]

how do i do this? terminal write? i dunno what this means, im a windows user until this computer, also, if u had to estimate, from turning on the computer to fully loading the os, how long should it take? I tried the ram, didnt do anything

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

k..terminal is an interface to communicate with the kernel..its located in finder-applications-utilities-terminal..
    so when you open it, you would get a window with prompt..at the prompt write what i earlier posted in a single line..hit enter.
    you would have to reboot twice to see the effect.
    cheers

edit: it takes 1 minute 1 second to fully load , on my ibook..

6. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, so i popped in the cd that came w/ my comp, the restore programs one, then i hit c on start up to boot the cd as is told, and now, nothing happens, all i get is an apple on a grey backrground? wtf can i do? help!, i've tried rebooting but thats all i get

7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

k try safe boot..for this, shut down.press the power button, as soon as you hear the chime, hold down 'shift' key..do not hold it down before u hear the chime. Release it when u see the gray apple logo. It would also tell u that its booting in safe mode..once its started, press power button and restart normally..see if its ok and starts up...
    if not then u can try to repair disk by fsck..to do that
    shut down,,press power button, hold down 'command'(its the key with teh apple logo) and 's' keys, untill u see some white text. At the prompt write
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    press enter
    it will do some stuff and finally tell u that the volume is ok. then write
    reboot
    press enter..
    hopefully safe boot would solve the problem and u wont need fsck.