iBook problems- display! Anyone wanna help!?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ccbayer, Aug 27, 2003.

1. ccbayer macrumors newbie

Hey. I've got a problem that i hope someone can recognize/help me with...
    It's with a new iBook (800 mhz) w/ the dual USB ports. Whenever the display is opened to equal or more than 45 degree angles, the display ALMOST turns off- that is, you can see a faint, faint outline of what was on the screen (like a ghost image of the computers in your typing class in 7th grade that'd had the image burned into the monitor....)

i've searched on apple.com/support and other sites and had no luck regarding this. any suggestions?

thanks.

2. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Sounds like a bad connection from the logic board to the backlight. Take it to your local Apple store for service :)

3. jzieske macrumors regular

Apple Store

I would take your iBook to the local Apple Store assuming that there is one in your area. I have not heard of this specific problem before. My guess is a bad sensor or the monitor cable has worked it self loose.

[edit: looks like I got beat]

4. ccbayer thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i'll see what I can do.
    I think this happened to someone else I know, but didn't get the chance to ask- i wonder why there's no info on it..unless i've just had weird luck.

5. el greenerino macrumors regular

Maybe your turning the brightness all the way down with you finger when your shuting the lid :D

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I've had this problem. It occurred with a 12" 600 mhz ibook.

At first the ibook just seemed to be slow to wake up when I opened it... but the hard drive was awake and the display was dark. Then the screen started going dark when it was opened past 90 degrees. Then it would flicker to dark when I adjusted the screen at all. Eventually it got so bad that the screen would stay dark for well over a minute when opened from sleep.

I had applecare and sent the ibook in. It turned out to be a bad wire that runs through the hinge (between the display and the keyboard area).

The only option here is service. This is a known problem with ibooks and it can be easily repaired by an apple tech, but get it fixed soon because it will continue to get worse with time.

7. KershMan macrumors 6502

Check the Apple support forums as well. The 800 MHz iBook has had a logic board problem. It seems to crack to the left of the track pad. My wife's logic board has been replaced twice since March.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As soon as I saw the title of "display problems" I immediately thought of the logic board problem. My iBook was in getting fixed earlier this month. I hope you're not having the same problem as me because I was without my iBook for a week :(

9. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Is it maybe just a backlighting issue? Perhaps you're seeing a faint image of what's on the screen because the backlight is turning off for some reason.