iBook Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ibookin', Oct 22, 2003.

1. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I am having iBook problems yet again :mad:

My second iBook had a new logic board very recently (within the last month), and now it refuses to recognize the internal hard drive. It cannot be seen in Disk Utility at all.

I have zapped the PRAM, reset power manager, and reset Open Firmware, and it still refuses to see the hard drive.

Any ideas on what it could be before I send it in for the second time in a month?

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Well i would just send it back and instead of trying to fix it let apple fix it. I know you'll miss you ibook but i'll make it happier:)

3. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Well arn't you in luck

Demand a replacement of the whole system, and since you G3 iBook no longer exists you would have to recieve a G4 model. If your having that much trouble apple shoud replace the whole system.:)

4. isd_glory macrumors member

From what I've seen, two failures won't get you a replacement. I've heard about some people getting a replacement at three, but it took a lot of pestering the customer service reps. My old iBook took four logic board replacements before I was allowed to send it in permanently. Heh, how lucky of you to have an opportunity to get a replacement G4 iBook instead of a G3.

Personally, I opted to do a paid upgrade to get a new 15" Powerbook instead of having to deal with the fault-prone iBook. I even managed to convince them to expedite the process.
    I've been promised that my BTO Powerbook should arrive at my door within 8 days.

Anyway, good luck.

5. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

When I got my original 500MHz iBook replaced it had been through 3 logic boards and needed a 4th. I explained to them the situation and asked for a replacement and they agreed and sent me a new 800MHz one. Now the 800 is having problems (already on its second logic board, HD [or maybe IDE channel?] failure as described above).

I don't know if it is how I'm handling it or I am just unlucky. I keep it in its own sleeve and have stopped carrying it while it's sleeping, as they told me that this might be causing my continued problems. Yet it still breaks. :(

I guess I'll be sending it in soon.