iBook prospective buyer

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dogus1, Jul 18, 2005.

1. dogus1 macrumors newbie

Hey, just seeking advice from the masses --

Last year I owned a 15 inch PB 1.25 w/ superdrive 2x -- it was great, but had to sell it for money reasons. Anyway, it is a new day in life, and I am ready to return to a Mac portable, but I know from experience that the Powerbooks are too much money and have more features than I can rightly use. So, I know I want an iMac.

My questions:
    1) What kind of Superdrive is presently shipping with the iMacs -- burn speed, that is. I know that PBs now have 8x, and the G5s have 16x dual-layer, so I assume the present gen of iMacs have a 4x or 2x?

2) What kind of Superdrive do y'all expect will be in the next revision? And will it be made available for the 12 inch? I mean, if it can fit in a 12 inch PB...

3) Should I forget about Superdrives in the iMac, especially if I want speed and dual-layer, and look into an external burner? If I do look here, what functionality issues will I encounter? Won't I miss out on iDVD features? Anything else?

4) Any ideas out there on what the next revisions will have in terms of graphics core? Isn't the present core underpowered to really use Tiger's full force?

Thanks.

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

1) 8X Dual-Layer DVD Burners

2) Probably 8X Dual-Layer DVD Burners (in all sizes of PowerBooks)

3. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

1) 8x Double Layer

2) tough to say, but 8x Double Layeris not an engineering impossibility

3) Lacie makes an awesome 16x Double Layer, there is a hack to use it with iDVD and it comes with Toast

4) ???