iBook purchase and other new laptop purchases

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Nov 18, 2003.

1. niter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    I am considering purchasing one of the new models of iBooks, but I am not sure which one.

The biggest issue I have is that I like the size of the 12" and its price, but I do not like that it is 800 MHz instead of 1Ghz as the 14". Is the 200 MHz really that big of a deal when it comes to speed? Another concern is that if I do opt to get the 12" I will enjoy its size for awhile and then perhaps it will be tiring to have such a small screen However, I do plan to have the laptop hooked up to a monitor whenever I am at either work or home. I guess the biggest issue is the processor speed.

When I purchased my PC laptop, it was not a big deal for me to get 2.0 GHz versus the fastest available 2.4 GHz. I figured for what I wanted to do, the the speed would not make a difference. There are a lot of software that I have to get if I fully switch to Mac and thus the extra $$ would be nice. I know for what I need it for immediately, the 800 would be just fine. However, I want to know the lasting power of the computer. Would it be best to just get the 1GHz as far as how long I can get this computer to last for me and/or its later resale value? Also, I am debating one day wanting to get an external CD burner. I really do not want to pay for a superdrive now in a powerbook, and I am not sure whether I would ever get one. I just want to know I CAN if I decide to later on.

I know that with the education discount, I could purchase a 12" powerbook for the same price as the 14" ibook. But I really like the looks and the toughness of the ibook. Is the powerbook far much more lasting than the ibook in computing power or is it just a nicer system?

Also, I have questions about Apple Care and AirPort Extreme. Is Apple Care worth it? The same for AirPort Extreme. I really do not do much wireless now, but several buildings on my campus are already wireless (with the rest converting) and I was wondering if I need to get AirPort Extreme. Does the computer come with some sort of wireless capabilities without it? Should I just get it to increase the lasting potential of my purchase.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    If you get the 12" Powerbook, you can always BTO it and get it without a SuperDrive. However, if you get it without a SuperDrive and add an external DVD±RW drive later, then you won't be able to use iDVD with it. But there are viable alternatives to iDVD, and external drives are cheaper and faster.

Yes, you can add Airport Extreme as a later date... its a user-installable part.

As for the iBook, i think the extra 200mhz does in fact make quite a difference. I would recommend the 14" iBook over the 12" Powerbook also because the iBook has a better graphics card (no matter what the PC benchmarks say, for a mobile card, the 9200 is better than the 2Go card in the Powerbook).