iBook Quality

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kanpachi, Jul 27, 2005.

1. kanpachi macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2005
    Hi All,
    I just bought the new iBook yesterday, and I was curious to see whether people had any input on how rugged this laptop really is. It feels very solid, but has anyone had any problems with it? I also noticed that the escape key feels like a loose tooth -- is this a common issue with the iBooks? If for some reason it falls off, can Apple replace it after the 90 day warranty period (I don't have AppleCare).

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. banditf50 macrumors newbie

May 2, 2004
    Let me first apologize for responding to your question with a question of my own. However I am looking at buying myself a 12 inch iBook.

Do you know what the maximum resolution that the 9550 can output to an external monitor?

If I choose the iBook over a Powerbook I'll also be able to afford the 20 inch Dell monitor that I've wanted for some time :)

*Enjoy your new purchase!

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    I always thought their keyboards are very ummm "lucky". You either get a good one or you don't.

The warranty is 1 year. 90 days is just phone support. :)
  4. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
  5. banditf50 macrumors newbie

May 2, 2004
    Thanks for the quick reply, even though it shoots a hole in my iBook purchase plan ;) I figured that I could easily use a 12 inch iBook because I would use it in two locations that would give me access to 20 inch monitors. However if it cannot support a higher resolution it looks like I'll have to go back to considering a Powerbook.

Thanks again

6. kanpachi thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2005
  7. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Seems like ITASOR answered your questions...
  8. Malachi macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Apple won't replace the key they'll just send you a whole new keyboard.
  9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    iBooks can last for YEEAARRRSS if you take good care of them.

There are still some people who are using the big, colorful iBooks.
  10. adamjaskie macrumors member

I've got a missing "n". Paint rubbed right off two weeks after I got the iBook. All the other keys are fine, though. Go figure.
  11. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    Like me.
  12. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2004
    Overall, I think the iBook is very sturdy--I've certainly given mine a pounding in my satchel walking to and from class. I do have a few issues:

1) My iBook, when closed, has never LOOKED completely closed...if I look straight on at the front of the thing (looking at the lid release button) it looks like it's smiling at me...which is either nice or disconcerting.

2) I removed the keyboard to install more RAM...and the keyboard has never felt great since. I'm sure this is my own fault--but it was a pain to get back in...the instructions made it look like it would be very easy.

3) The paint on most of the keys that I hit with my right hand has worn off. Strangely--the left hand keys are fine. Why is this? Good thing I learned to type in grade school!
  13. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    The iBook can only "officially" mirror the main display so you are forced to use a mirrored 1024x768 display _BUT_ there are unofficial hacks that will allow you to span the display not just mirror it, but you need to take in to account you'll lose half of the VRAM to the iBooks TFT so you are left with 16 MB for the external display.

IMHO if you want to use an Apple notebook with an external display you need a PowerBook.
  14. kidbsides macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2005
    iBook Max Resolution

Go here:

Using this allows you to do monitor spanning with your iBook and also unlocks the 1024x768 restriction. The ibook comes with 32mb vram -- plenty to power higher resolutions! I use it to power a 19" monitor at 1280x1024 and it totally rocks. I also was brave enough to open up my ibook and give it a 5400RPM 80GB HD and 8x DL Superdrive upgrade.

Anything can be done if you put your mind (and Google to it). :)

1.25GHZ iBook
    1.25 GB Ram
    80GB HD
    8x DL Superdrive
  15. kanpachi thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2005
    Cool, thanks for all the responses! Seems like it is pretty solid physically -- did anyone ever have any issues with the screen degrading in quality or anything like that? I notice that the screen isn't very good in a sense that the bottom area of the screen looks more washed out and brighter than the top area because of the way the monitor needs to be viewed. Does anyone else notice this too? I think the iBook has the most sensitive screen I've ever used in terms of how you need to view it -- if you view it from a slightly different angle, the sharpness and clarity will change fairly dramatically. :confused: