Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNorthSea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Okay, I bought one of those great new iBooks a few weeks ago (love it to death) and it's been going great. Last night, I had it plugged into my wall outlet and my ethernet cable and I put it to sleep as usual.

When I woke up this morning, I found it off. I tried turning it on, but it wouldn't start on. The handrest areas were warm, but other than that it seemed normal. I plugged it in the wall socket again, and it started to charge some more.

After I came back an hour or so later, it had finished charging, but still wouldn't turn on. I unplugged my laptop from everything and went to a friends room to check on something. When I came back, I tried it one more time, and it came back to the world of the living.

Did the laptop turn off by itself because it got too hot? I've started it up again today and even now it seems fine as I use it to type this. I talked to a friend at lunch and she remarked that her PC laptop has done that before to her. I am assuming that this is the problem, but wanted to ask the fine experts here if this was the case, or if Applecare needs to be used. Thank you for your time.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
You're computer should never need to turn itself off because of temperature, this should not be considered normal. I'm not sure what happened, if is does it again, I would consider taking it to an apple store check it out. You can also download a temperature monitor app and see if it runs hotter then it should. I don't have an iBook, so I can't tell you what normal runs temperatures are, but I'm sure someone else on here will.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
You might want to turn the iBook off before charging, it will charge when its off. Dont let it sleep the whole night.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
jamesW135 said:
You might want to turn the iBook off before charging, it will charge when its off. Dont let it sleep the whole night.

why is that, I thought that most people rarely / if ever actually shut down pbooks / ibooks, I wouldn't think that that would cause a problem like this

--sometimes an ibook will not wake up properly when you open it up, and I usually just press the power button and it will wake up alright (not starting up or anything, just waking up though)

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
lopresmb said:
why is that, I thought that most people rarely / if ever actually shut down pbooks / ibooks, I wouldn't think that that would cause a problem like this

--sometimes an ibook will not wake up properly when you open it up, and I usually just press the power button and it will wake up alright (not starting up or anything, just waking up though)

This is not normal behavior for an iBook. You should be able to charge it while it's sleeping, and it should wake up when you open it.

Time to call Applecare or take it into an Apple store.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
What?!?!?!

jamesW135 said:

I have not turned my computer off in MONTHS.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
We never turn our iBook off... it only sleeps. And, it can sleep and charge at the same time. The only reason to turn it off would be if you weren't going to use it for a couple of weeks (as if that would really happen).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.