iBook Question,HELP!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kalinatek, Apr 3, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

i want to buy my friend's iBook (G3) 500Mhz with 384 Ram , 10 GB HD , Combo,12 inch screen..etc

but i just wanted to know if this model supports the optional Airport Card (that costs 80$ in apple.com) or not because i will mostly use wireless internet.

my friend told me he doesnt know if it supports the airport card and he never used it for wireless internet.

thanks

2. weg
    macrumors 6502a

weg

As far as I know, Airport cards for the G3 iBook aren't available anymore from Apple (G3 ibooks don't work with the Extreme card). If you're lucky, you can get a used one somewhere...

3. macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

No, Apple doesn't even produce them anymore, I don't think. If you're looking for one I would suggest taking a look at MacRumors marketplace. Be warned, people are charging outrageous prices for them. I've seen them go for as much as $130!!

4. macrumors G3

I have one. :)

To put it in, you lift up the keyboard, and there's a spot for it.

It definitely supports it.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

what do u mean lift up the keyboard ? and do u have any picx?

thanks

6. macrumors 65816

stridey

There are two tabs on the keyboard, to the right of the "esc" and "F11" keys, respectively. Pull these tabs, then you can flip up the keyboard.

7. macrumors G3

8. thread starter macrumors regular

would an external USB wireless thingy work?? on the G3 iBook?

9. macrumors G3

I used a DW122 for a while. NOT GOOD. It always dropped me and was generally not good, imho. Other people have had success with them. *shrug*

10. macrumors member

lonelemur90

warning: do not try to install an airport extreme card into a dual or single USB ibook G3. It WILL NOT FIT! The original airport cards can be purchased on ebay for sometimes even as little as 40 or 50 bucks.

p.s. to take off the keyboard, you have to unlock it by turning the small disk on the top (if it is not unlocked already) then pull down the tabs and lift it up. you can go to the apple support page for a step by step illustrated instruction.