Ibook question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edwardk9, May 9, 2005.

1. edwardk9 macrumors member

edwardk9

I am interesting in purchasing a laptop from ebay (ugh). I already have a desktop so I really just need something to do while I am on the run or away from home.

I was looking to buy a nice PDA but I figure an old laptop would be much better.

How are the ibook G3's? I am looking at a 800mhz and a 500mhz. I would really only use it for music/videos/web. No photoshop or anything.

Would this suffice and would I be happy with the performance?

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

If you bulk up on RAM, I'm sure you would be satisfied. Those are very basic needs, and most Apple computers can do that, if configured correctly. But like always, the more speed the better ...

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The old iBook G3s had logic board problems but most of them should be trashed by now anyway. The specs on them were still pretty poor though, if you could just stretch to a G4 iBook you'll be happy as Larry. IMO, that upgrade was seriously big.

4. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I'd suggest an ibook G4 of whatever speed/description.

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

the iBook G3 500s did not have the logic board problems en masse (some individual ones still might have, of course) that the G3 iBooks with the 100 MHz system bus, such as the 800 MHz, did. ... if I remember correctly.

6. edwardk9 thread starter macrumors member

edwardk9

Yeah. I am looking to only spend about 500 bucks but from the looks of things maybe I should just save up over the next couple of months and buy a new one. With my student discount it should be worth the extra money.

I am just impatient.

7. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Yeah, that's a much better idea. Save for a while. It will make you want it more.

I think that you would be better off buying a desktop, but I don't know if your needs require portability. For example, the eMac is in your price range, and it's a much better machine. I saw you mentioned a PDA, so I guessing you want portability, but I was just throwing it out there.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was in exactly the same boat a year and a half ago. I was just starting to make serious bids on eBay when the G4 iBooks came out. I grabbed my student card and headed to the local Apple reseller and I haven't looked back since. You really wont regret getting the G4 over a G3.

9. edwardk9 thread starter macrumors member

edwardk9

I really need something I can take with me to class. I was thinking PDA (maybe the dell x50v) but I can already tell that the small screen and lack of options would annoy me.

I saw a couple of refurbished ibooks at the apple store the other day but now they are gone. I guess it didn't matter anyways - but knowing you couldn't get it because you were 200 bucks away really sucks.

I guess I could always get an apple loan but student loans are going to kill me enough already.

I really wish I never started reading about the ibooks. Ever since I have been non-stopped obsessing about an ibook. (well actually a powerbook but...yeah)