iBook question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by guava, Aug 21, 2005.

1. guava macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm a new member of the board, and I have a question about my ordered BTO iBook 12 inch 1.33 ghz . I've ordered it at an authorised apple reseller (so same apple prices and discounts). I added an extra 512 mb ddr (because everyone told me it was a necessity) and a 60 gb 5400 rpm instead of 40gb 4500 rpm. My question is about the hd. Was it a good choice to go for a 5400 rpm hd? I did it because I heard OS X will perform a lot better with a 5400 instead of a 4500 . Is this actually true? And what will this do to my battery life and will it make more noices?

Greetings,

2. godbout macrumors regular

I think that the other HD would have been 4200rpm not 4500rpm... You Totaly made the right choice! you will notice the difference! Those are Awesome specs on an iBook. Heck, I bet that will come close to a rev C 12" PB :eek: Good luck, like I said that it is an awesome machine.

Oh and it WILL probably make a difference in the battery but I DOUBT it will be noticable. Hope this helps.

3. amholl macrumors 6502

The difference in battery life will be like 5, 10 mins, so nothing too big, but it will preform a lot better. I got the old 12 inch w/ a 30 gig, 4200 RPM drive and I think it screams, youre machine also has 256 MB more RAM and 130 MHz more proc, not to mention the 9550, which ium sure is faster than the 5200Go. You are lucky to have such a good machine. Use it well!

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That amount of memory and hardrive should cause your iBook to preform very well. I hope that you also purchase AppleCare, It's very important IMHO. ;)

5. godbout macrumors regular

I second getting applecare (you never know!!) but one thing that I would consider if you are a little tight for cash, is that you wait nine or ten months to save the cash (applecare is not all that cheap)... you can buy your applecare anytime in the first year of owning your iBook... just something to keep in mind :)