iBook question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kay, Apr 2, 2002.

1. kay macrumors member

I'm on the verge of getting a new iBook - the second model (500MHz, DVD-ROM drive). I intend to use this only for small work and wireless internet outside of my dorm room, as I will have a Power Mac there. All I really want this iBook to be able to do is play DVDs, use Microsoft Office, and Internet Explorer. I'll be running OS X exclusively.

Any suggestions or warnings?

2. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

You should up the ram t 256 or 384, it will boost performance when watching DVD's, my 400Mhz tower sucked playing them with the stock 64 ram(stopped after 25 minutes, had to quit, reload, and skip that part, and then it stops again every 25 minutes.) But now I have 576 and it doesn't skip, stop, or do any other evil stuff.:)

3. kay thread starter macrumors member

Oops, forgot to add that I'll upgrade the memory to 256MB, but not with Apple. Just costs less to get it other places...

4. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Notes about adding RAM

0) You will save about $90 on a 256MB module by going with someone other than Apple and installing it yourself

1) Be sure you have a good set of jewler's screwdrivers
    - Adding RAM to the iBook requires a good set of jewler's screwdrivers
    - If you lack these tools, buy the proper ones or have someone else install it
    - It's very easy to muck up the screws/plate that cover the RAM module if you don't have the right size screwdriver (read "tiny" phillips that's "just the right size")

2) Be sure you go with a well-respected RAM vendor. There's a lot of bad RAM out there. Don't make the mistake of saving $20 only to have the hassle of exchanging bad RAM

3) Add at least 256MB for a total of 384MB - the savings for upping to 256 isn't worth the hassle you'll experience later

5. PB180 macrumors newbie

RAM Vendors

Who do you recommend for RAM vendors?

I'm also set to buy an iBook this week (combo 12")

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would max out the memory in the iBook... I know that all the memory sold at www.mohawkmem.com is rock solid. They also have a 100% satisfaction policy where if the memory EVER goes wonky, you get a replacement chip from them (provided something that will work is still available). That policy follows the computer, not just you. I have a pair of 512MB chips in my TiBook from them, and they give me no problems.

If you don't see exactly what you need/want, give them a call. They also get other things besides memory.

Oh yeah, their return policy is very nice. You call them, provide some info (to prove that you purchased the memory in question from them, can't blame them there). They then ship out a replacement chip, along with a postage paid box for the one you are returning. Not a bad way to do things, at least in my book. If you live outside of MA, then you only have to pay shipping (ground is about $8 or so). If you live in MA, then you know all about sales tax.

Oh yeah, for a while at least, they were selling the 5GB iPods at well under what you could find them elsewhere. Something else to check into if you are in the market for them.

7. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Don't buy that ibook!! I would never recommend to anyone getting the 500mhz version over a 600mhz ibook. The extra mhz buys you a faster bus speed which is arguably the most important difference between the two. Don' skimp on the internals for $100-$200. Get a good old 600mhz model. I have used them both side by side, and the 600 is substantially faster than the 500 with equal ram.

-Pete

8. kay thread starter macrumors member

I was waiting for someone to say that. Okay, I'm gonna go for the low 600MHz model.

I saw at MacWarehouse a 600MHz model with a DVD-ROM drive, but that configuration isn't availible at The Apple Store. Weird...

9. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun