Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I'm having a strange problem with my 700 Mhz iBook. Every so often it will sound out a low tone sound. Almost like a chime, but low pitched. It does not appear to be coming from the speakers, it seems to be coming from the iBook itself. Does anybody know what that means?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I've had that happen occasionally. Most circuit boards in computers have a small diode that will emit the tone you indicate in your post. I can't determine that the sound is a harbinger of doom--it's likely there for testing purposes. Sleep easy.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
some people report these type of things sometimes... most often it's the Airport card, chirping to indicate signal strength or a number of other things... never heard of this particular sound tho... does your iBook have airport extreme installed? perhaps that card makes a different noise. Anyway, can't tell you why it happens, but if it's particularly bothersome, send it to Apple. You could also try posting on Apple's forum, see if anyone else has a similar issue...

paul

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by paulwhannel
does your iBook have airport extreme installed?

G3 700 iBooks can't take Airport Extreme.

Anyway, my 800 iBook made that noise a few times; unfortunately it was when my mobo was failing :s unfortunately they're notorious for it. Have you had any weird things going on with the screen on boot? Has it ever locked up completely? worth checking out - hope its not that but it could be!

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I don't have airport installed.

I haven't had any kind of video problems (lately). I'm on my 4th logic board with this iBook. It's probably been about 9 months since I last had problems. I can't place any pattern on the chymes either.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
my sisters phone can make my ibook make odd noises when she uses it neer it (samsung a800) I don't have air port and it seems to come from the logic board odd phenonemon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.