iBook question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dukemeiser, Dec 25, 2003.

1. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I'm having a strange problem with my 700 Mhz iBook. Every so often it will sound out a low tone sound. Almost like a chime, but low pitched. It does not appear to be coming from the speakers, it seems to be coming from the iBook itself. Does anybody know what that means?

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I've had that happen occasionally. Most circuit boards in computers have a small diode that will emit the tone you indicate in your post. I can't determine that the sound is a harbinger of doom--it's likely there for testing purposes. Sleep easy.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

some people report these type of things sometimes... most often it's the Airport card, chirping to indicate signal strength or a number of other things... never heard of this particular sound tho... does your iBook have airport extreme installed? perhaps that card makes a different noise. Anyway, can't tell you why it happens, but if it's particularly bothersome, send it to Apple. You could also try posting on Apple's forum, see if anyone else has a similar issue...

paul

4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

G3 700 iBooks can't take Airport Extreme.

Anyway, my 800 iBook made that noise a few times; unfortunately it was when my mobo was failing :s unfortunately they're notorious for it. Have you had any weird things going on with the screen on boot? Has it ever locked up completely? worth checking out - hope its not that but it could be!

5. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I don't have airport installed.

I haven't had any kind of video problems (lately). I'm on my 4th logic board with this iBook. It's probably been about 9 months since I last had problems. I can't place any pattern on the chymes either.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I hope that the new iBooks won't develop that kind of bad rep....we'll see.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

my sisters phone can make my ibook make odd noises when she uses it neer it (samsung a800) I don't have air port and it seems to come from the logic board odd phenonemon