iBook questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by markjones05, Oct 3, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

My girlfriend just got a 15 inch 2 ghz dell inspiron with 256 ram. Its three days old and we are returning it for an ibook 900 mhz 12 inch with 256 and cd burner and dvd rom. Her account will not be credited for at least a month so she wont be able to buy it untill then. My first question is, will the ibooks most likey be updated by then? And second, if they are updated will she be able to get the older version for a discounted price from the apple store? Or is it anyones opinion that we should buy the new model? She isnt looking to spend anymore than 1,400. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Markjones05

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Well, a rumr just poped up about a possible new iBook by XMas. You just have to decide how much faith you have in it. Personally, I think they are long overdue.

Dan

3. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

They usualy have a bunch of refurbished models on the apple store, its usually placed near the bottom with a Sale tag graphic. Then again, if either of you are students you can usualy skim a few hundred $$ off the price of a brand-spank'in new one at the educational site.

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

except with ibooks it's more like $50. oh well...

5. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Its a 100$ off any mac you decide to buy using the education discount.

She doesnt want a refurbished or used computer. Just want to know if the older ones go down in price after the new ones come out and are you still able to acquire them at an apple store.

Markjones05

6. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hmmmm.... well, theoretically, yes, there could be iBook updates by then, especially given the recent rumor. But remember, updated PowerBooks were rumored to be in the pipeline for April - they obviously didn't come along until September. So that part's up to you.

One month? That's ridiculous. I've worked in chargebacks and credit before, and there's no reason it should take that long, excepting the clerks sitting on their fat butts twiddling their thumbs. Call them back and demand they do it sooner - if they say it can't, speak with a supervisor.

7. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

LOL hey i would man except for the fact the education department is based out of ****ing Inda. You try to stay on the line with those guys from dell and try to haggle. I tried to get one of those *******s to give me an extension because i kept getting hung up on and he argued with me for five minute assuring me he wouldnt hang up the phone. By the time i got the information i needed I didnt want to stay on the line for another minute. Dell Sucks.

8. Brundlefly macrumors member

Brundlefly

I hear they are going up to 1.1 gig processors with an extra L2 cache...possibly new case design.....

In all honesty I like the ibooks screen now more than the powerbook's 12 inch screen...seems a little brighter, with less of a sweetspot for placing your head....

I had an 800 and it was a fine system with 640 ram in it....a little powerhouse for travelling, I did some amazing designs off it.

but to be safe, get it at the end of nov, from a chain store with 30 price protection, you can uopgrade if the new one comes out in dec.