iBook ram? 1gig? kinda cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jdm_rsx, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

2. mikeyfern macrumors member

3. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

i feel like an idiot spending 140 for a 1 stick of 512 .....for my iBook...

argh..i should've just bought a 1 gig of ram...

does it really make a difference? from 768 to 1256 ram?

on the iBOOK? i mean on the powerbook i i think i'll see more dramatic changes....

just wondering...

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

What are you doing with it? If you're surfin' the net, it won't matter at all. If you're doing other tasks (photoshop, etc.) it may matter more. I've got 768 in my powerbook, and I think I have too much RAM. I don't do anything intensive, so it's pretty much a waste of processor and RAM, but oh well. It'll last for years doing what I do with it.

5. bastardx macrumors member

never heard of that brand, to be honest. I would say possibly through one of the vendors that a previous poster stated, or perhaps OWC would be good to go through.

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

That picture looks just like the $160 1GB RAM module my brother got from Outpost.com. He ordered it Saturday and it arrived Tuesday morning. I installed it in his 14" 1GHz iBook G4. Then I ran the extended hardware test and it passed.

Save yourself $70 or so and get the Outpost.com 1GB RAM. It's PC2700 but it will have no problem working at PC2100 speed.

I paid around $300 for the 1GB RAM stick in my 12" PowerBook. I got it from 18004memory.com. The key to getting a good price from that site is by first checking dealram.com or ramseeker.com because the link from those sites gives you the lower prices.

You can never have enough RAM, hard drive space, money or power. However, you can get the good feeling that you've maxed out your iBook.