IBook RAM Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by kaizer, Feb 17, 2003.

1. kaizer macrumors member

Hi guys,

Being a new Mac user has brought me a few problems.:confused:

I've bought a third party RAM and installed it into my new iBook (absolutely love it!).

The thing is, whenever I put it to sleep mode, it crash when waking up (screen never turns back on).

I'm using 10.2.1 (comes standard on the machine).

Anybody have any experience with the above matter, or can provide solutions? Desperately needs the additional RAm as the bulit in 128 is already at it's limit!

Oh, Yeah... The RAM specs are So-DIMM PC133 256MB SDRAM.

Thanks in advance!

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    take the new ram out, and if it still crashes at wake up, it is not the problem.

if it does not crash, it is the ram.

some rams are not compliant with apple's specs. you need to look into that.

3. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,

did what you recommended, and yeah... it worked fine now without the additional RAM. But my question now is

What is the exect spec for a iBook RAM?

Thank You.

4. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

run software update and get yourself 10.2.4

that might help, although i doubt it.

where did you buy the memory?

5. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

Just called the Apple dealer and ask about the RAM specs.

The guy says that it's a SO-DIMM PC100 SDRAM. Mine's a PC133. Might that be the problem?

I bought the RAM from a friend of mine, has ask him to replace it with a PC100 for me. Hopes this works!:rolleyes:

Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

when PC133 tries to run as PC100 it does not always work. it depends on not only the RAM, but the laptop too. i have a IBM laptop that will not run with PC133 no matter what :( where as I have seen toshibas that will...

all above is based on assumption of PC100 bus.

7. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

the 128 meg stick that came in my g3 imac was pc133 (that's from the factory) and i have since added a 256meg pc100 stick from owc. it's worked fine, but i'm wondering if the pc133 provides any improvement, or if when i buy some more, i should stick to pure pc100.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

This is like the debate of whether to use 93 octane gas in your car that only requires 87.

If you Mac (or PC) requires PC100 RAM, then you'll see no benefits in using PC133 RAM. That said, I have PC133 RAM in my iBook with a 66mhz bus. I bought the PC133 RAM because it was a fantastic deal at the time ($105 for 512MB). It's worked without a hitch.

9. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! Like I said, ya'll the best!

Guess I'll have to wait till I get the PC100 RAM to find out for sure, then.

Thanks!

10. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

I also have PC133 512MB in my iBook, although mine is a 100MHz bus model. No problems. Try to stick to known entities like Cruicial for your memory. I have found in working support that lots of instabilities are cause by cheap memory.

That being said, my 512 SODIMM is no-name. CompUSA was running a special at the time- $100 for 512- half the price anywhere else had it. And with 640 my iBook 700 flies in X.

11. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

Wish I had your luck! Will keep my finger crossed till my friend gets me the replacement ram...