iBook Ram Installation: Screwdriver?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by JSRockit, Oct 18, 2002.

1. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

What screwdriver have you been sucessful with when installing Ram into your iBook? I was able to get one unscrewed, but the other is locked in. Any advice. Where can I buy supersmall screwdrivers? I have down to a #1 phillips, but is too big. Where can I get a smaller one?

2. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

You need to swing by Radio Shack and pick up a set of small phillips head screwdrivers. They're somewhere in the neighborhood of $5, and they're invaulauble. I can't tell you how often they've come in handy.

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

also, jewelers screwdrivers are great. you should be able to pick up something along those lines at any LensCrafters, since thats what people use to fix their glasses as well.

4. JSRockit thread starter macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I'll try radio shack as well...they must have something.

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

A word of caution:

Screws ain't what they used to be. It's remarkably easy to strip out the head of a phillips. I reccomend that you see if you can find both a small "pointy" phillips and a small "blunt" phillips and really get obsessive about which one really fits nicely. Once you're sure it's exact.... be very gentle in breaking it loose. A gradual increase in pressure works best to bust the thred-lok that assembly people are so fond of applying to every screw...:rolleyes:

6. JSRockit thread starter macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Re: A word of caution:

Exactly what I am looking to do. Were should I buy? Sears, Radio Shack etc?

7. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Don't bother with the philipshead, just use a flathead. It's easier to find ones small enough to work, and they work just as well.

8. JSRockit thread starter macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Believe me I have tried.

9. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

If you got to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=111918, you will see Apple recommends the #0 Phillips screwdriver.

I went to Home Depot and asked someone to find it for me. I did pay $5 for a set of small drivers that I used once, but maybe I can find a use for them again.

As someone else said, do be careful, the screws are easy to strip if you are not very careful.

10. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

If you got to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=111918, you will see Apple recommends the #0 Phillips screwdriver.

I went to Home Depot and asked someone to find it for me. I did pay $5 for a set of small drivers that I used once, but maybe I can find a use for them again.

As someone else said, do be careful, the screws are easy to stroip if you are not very careful.