Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard Cranium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Could I take the extra ram out of a g3 700mhz 14inch iBook and put it in my g4 dual 867, or into a new 14inch 933mhz g4 ibook?

Thanks

rc

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
unfortunately no. laptops are smaller machines, so the traditional RAM module was redesigned (called a SO-DIMM) to fit inside smaller machines. consequently, the RAM is physically much too small to put inside a machine that holds traditional DIMMs.

sorry

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
michaelrjohnson said:
unfortunately no. laptops are smaller machines, so the traditional RAM module was redesigned (called a SO-DIMM) to fit inside smaller machines. consequently, the RAM is physically much too small to put inside a machine that holds traditional DIMMs.

To elaborate, its not actually the physical size of the chip that matters as it is the number of pins (copper connectors) on the chips, and how close together they are. The problem is that they wouldn't match up with the pin configuration on the G4. The problem re: the G4 iBook is the speed of the RAM. The G3 iBook has Single Data Rate (SDR) memory while the G4 iBook has Double Data Rate (DDR) memory.

- Some good news is that SDR RAM for your G4 desktop is cheap enough to buy without breaking the bank, since you can't use the iBook G3 memory.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
crazzyeddie said:
To elaborate, its not actually the physical size of the chip that matters as it is the number of pins (copper connectors) on the chips, and how close together they are. The problem is that they wouldn't match up with the pin configuration on the G4. The problem re: the G4 iBook is the speed of the RAM. The G3 iBook has Single Data Rate (SDR) memory while the G4 iBook has Double Data Rate (DDR) memory.

- Some good news is that SDR RAM for your G4 desktop is cheap enough to buy without breaking the bank, since you can't use the iBook G3 memory.

that's exactly what i just said, except he wanted to sound smarter :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.