ibook ram question.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by YoYoMac, Jan 7, 2005.

1. YoYoMac macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    I know that the ibook uses 2100 ram, but can I use a stick of 2700 ram that I already have? Would it run at 2100 speeds? Would it totally crap out the ibook? Thanks in advance for answers.
  2. deltrotter macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2004
    Yep - I have just stuck a 1gig 2700 RAM from Outpost in my new iBook.

3. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

Jul 21, 2004

I spoke to Apple about this for my iBook and I was informed that the Ram would work. The 2700 would clockdown to the 2100 speed.

4. BoardCertified macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2005
    Orlando, FL USA
    This is, by far, the best news I've heard all day. I just sold my iBook G3 600 and upgraded to the latest iBook G4 1.2 w/256MB of RAM. My roommate had an additional 256 chip from Apple for his G4 (new) Powerbook - I took it and threw it into my iBook since he already has 768 in his Powerbook. The chip works fine in my iBook, but I was afraid it would cause permanant demage without my knowledge.

-I was high when I installed it, so maybe that's why I'm so paranoid. :D

Opps, did I just say that? :confused:
  5. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    YES, do did say that, ::quote:: ;) :)

6. netb0y macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2004
    Didn't work for me...

I was unable to use Corsair "Value Select" PC2700 RAM in my 1.2ghz 12" G4 iBook:

I booted from the hardware checking CD and the Corsair RAM was being seen but an error was reported (can't remember what it was).

Luckily my Dad's Dell Latitude used PC2100 RAM and I was able to swap with him. The Corsair RAM worked fine in his system.

Anyway, I would be careful when you buy PC2700 RAM for the iBook. Make sure you get RAM that someone else has verified to work.

Good luck!

Edit: I remember reading somewhere (after I bought the RAM) that the earlier iBooks supported PC2700 RAM but the current iBooks do not.