iBook Ram Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dr. Cheesesteak, Jan 27, 2005.

1. macrumors member

I tried a search to find out about this, but couldn't really find a definitive answer so...

I just bought a new iBook yesterday, and now am running a little too low on cash to get a ram update. However, my friend has a stick of Kingston PC2100 512MB that he is currently using in his Sony Vaio laptop that he can lend me for the time being. Is it safe for me to use this? Can I at least try it, or do I face some horrible death for my new toy if I put it through this?

2. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Short answer: Yes you can try it without risking death or dismemberment.

Make sure the pins on the chip match the pins in the memory socket before attempting to install. (There are a few Sonys that use DDR MicroDIMMs - these modules will be noticeably smaller than the socket, like 1/2 size - don't proceed with one of those, obviously)

You won't have a warranty on it. But if it's free and it may work, it's worth the try. If your friend wants any appreciable amount of cash for it, do some comparison shopping first, weighing the benefits of the warranty on a new SODIMM.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. macrumors 68040

maya

Check the pin count and CL rating. If all matches to the one as specified on Apples site, it will work.

pin count: 200
    CL rating 2.0/2.5

You can also use PC2700 SO-DIMM. Hope this answers your question. :)