ibook & ram question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joejg, Dec 4, 2003.

1. joejg macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm in the market to buy my first laptop. Apple says that the RAM on the ibook's max's out to 640. Is this true? Its been a while since I've ran anything besides linux, but can 640 really be enough ram for future versions of OSX? Anyway, the configuration i am looking at is the 12" ibook w/ 640mb ram, 40gig hd, Airport card, and the appleCare protection plan for $1,428 (w/ student discount). Anyways, i'm curious about the maximum ram issue, and whether or not i'm forgetting any "must have" mac/laptop toy? thanks.

2. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

make sure you get bluetooth, because you can't add it internally later on. 640 is plenty of ram for OS X as long as you're not editing video. My emac has a 700 mhz g4 and 640 ram, and it's plenty fast enough for daily student tasks (mail, safari, itunes, office, etc.).

I am also planning to get the ibook, but i want the 60 gb drive, as my 40 gb in the emac is almost full already.

also, you can buy applecare any time during the first year if you want to save some money up front.

3. Icekey macrumors member

Are you saying that 640mb RAM is not going to be enough to do rendering on final cut express?

4. joejg thread starter macrumors newbie

640mb of ram might very well be enough ram, frankly i'm not sure. I am not quiet sure how much ram stable applications take up. I run unstable everything (literaly everything) on my main (linux) box. So I am used to memory leaks and everything. but if you guys say its enough.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You can put a 1GB RAM chip into the iBook, making the total RAM 1152MB. However, the chips cost quite a bit. You can find them at TransIntl

6. joejg thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I was very curuious about that. But alas, that is out of my price range for now, but its good to know that its possible. Thanks, again!