iBook Ram

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by guido_2818, Aug 14, 2004.

1. guido_2818 macrumors newbie

Hey I'm a Mac newbie, and have a question regarding ram for the 1GHz iBook that came out this year. I found a site that sells 512mb DDR PC2100 200 pin SODIMM ram chips for 87.00, which is better deal than Crucial's chip for 137.99. However, I'm not sure whether or not it is compatible with an iBook.

I'm assuming it is, becuase the specs on the ram exactly match what Crucial has listed as their iBook compatible ram chips. So what I would like to know is, even though the specs of the ram chips are identical, is there still a difference between PC and Mac ram, or should I be OK in purchasing this chip? Please let me know. Thanks for your help!

Oh, and the site I'm referring to is www.ewiz.com, incase that helps. . .

2. brap macrumors 68000

You need: CL2.5, 200pin DDR2100 SODIMM, non-parity. Nothing special because it's a Mac.

3. smoky macrumors newbie

Any comments on the Apple-specified 512MB limit for (for example ) the 12" 800MHz G4 iBook? Some vendors are offering a 1GB SODIMM. Would there be any problems?

Thanks.

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Should work fine, I'm not aware of anyone having done this off the top of my head though.

The only problem I could see is if Apple somehow limited the firmware from addressing more than 512MB, though I think that's highly unlikely.

5. mms macrumors 6502a

Might want to watch out for bad RAM though. Bad RAM causes major problems with the system and are probably the most common causes of repeated kernel panics. Make sure that wherever you buy the RAM from has some type of return policy that would cover you in case that happens. Otherwise, I would recommend Crucial, which is usually a safe bet.