iBook Red Screen of Something? Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ArtMan617, Jun 18, 2002.

1. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

In case you didn't read my previous thread question about a faulty base station, bascially, I just erased my iBook's hard drive and am busy re-installing software. Now, of course, I run into another problem. Earlier this morning I woke my computer up from sleep and the screen looked as if a translucent layer of red had been placed over the monitor. I immediately got worried and went to change the resolution. When I changed the resolution to something else and then back to the original setting it looked as if it had pretty much gone away but I could still see some red traces. It seems to be doing this only when I wake it up from sleep or some sort of screen turning-off mode. Anyway, has this happened to anyone else? If so, what should I do? Also, my AppleCare protection plan still covers it (thank god) so I could send it to Apple if necessary. Thanks for your help!

-ArtMan617

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

eek

that sounds bad.

Someone else might read this now to consider how C**p my advice is.

I personally have no idea
    except for

if the red bits disappear when you drag icons over them, then I don't think its that serious.

hope it fixes itself.

bye

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How long do you leave it running, even in sleep mode?? Did you attempt to zap the PRAM at all??? How about reset the PMU/CUDA??? Does rebooting the computer make it go away until the screen goes to sleep??? If it only appears when you have the screen go into low power mode, then I would suspect that there is a problem with the power inverter. That would require it to make a trek to Apple for repair. A short term fix would be to disable the screen from going into the sleep mode, and just have a screen saver run when you are not using it (if you really don't want to shut it down at night).

If the problem persists, I suggest calling Apple about it. Something you might want to check would be the discussions and knowledge base sections on Apple's support pages. You might find out if someone else has the same issue or not. You can also post up your question there about it to see if anyone has had the same issue.

4. ArtMan617 thread starter macrumors regular

I generally have it running for most of the day and depending on what I'm doing, most of that may be in sleep mode. Also, I didn't try to zap the PRAM or reset the PMU/CDA (I'm sorry, what are the PMU/CDA anyway?). I have not tried rebooting yet to check that but when I do I'll report back. Thank you very much for the help.

-ArtMan617