iBook Refurb vs New

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cxk6111, Jun 13, 2004.

1. cxk6111 macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Going to be buying my first Mac since owning a IIe in middle school. I've settled on a 1Ghz 12" iBook as I much prefer a notebook to a desktop and don't think I need much more processing power. My question is the difference between new and refurb. Since they both come with the same warranty, I'm not worried about quality. Everyone I"ve talked to says nothing but good things about Apple Store refurbs. However, I'm not sure what comes with the refurb, specifically software. Currently, the refurb model is $949+tax and the new model is $1099+tax. I'm assuming that the refurb does not come with the software bundle that the new one comes with? Specifially, iLife. I guess the statement that leaves me guessing is the disclaimer on the refurb page:

Note: System Software Version 10.3.3 is pre-installed on the hard drive. Other software may or may not be included pre-installed or on CD's with refurbished products, subject to availability.

Not sure exactly what the quesiton is, perhaps you guys could just give advice. But assuming that I'd use iLife and one or two of the bundled applications (maybe Quicken or Appleworks), is there any reason why I should pick one over the other?
  2. ezekel macrumors regular

Jun 4, 2004
    Royal Oak
    sorry to add on to this: but im interested in teh same thing.

as i understand apples refurbs still have the warrenty so if anything goes wrong its still covered.

but i was reading from another forum sales thread of apple refreshed books. basiclly they said its powerbooks/ibooks/apple products that have been used for 10mins-3hrs max. they are non refurbs. the example they gave was like buying a notebook at best buy and then returning it after they tried it caues they didnt like it. also they said it would be still covered under apples warrenty. i just wanted to know if anyone has actually heard of this.
  3. svenr macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    I wouldn't think they are. Think about what "refurbish" means. Someone opens the machine, fixes faulty parts, runs extensive tests to make sure it works like new. I don't think anyone would do that to a new Mac that's been used for 10 mins.
  4. netytan macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    Makes sence, i mean, you've just got a brand new IBook; what user wouldn't fall in love with the little white box right away. Yes something was sufficently wrong with this one that the guy or gurl sent it back, and then Apple in there infinate wisdom didn't just repair it and send it back. That being said and as SV mentioned Apple have run extensive tests on the machine to make sure its up to spec. Personally i'd like the new one just to know that i am the only one to ever use it ;).

To answer the software question i would expect that the referb ships with all the same software packages as the brand new ones, it only makes sence :).

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    My refurbished PowerBook said the same thing about software. I bought it in March and it only came with Jaguar installed.... 10.2.7 (or something like that). But they included the upgrade disks to install Panther and included the iLife '04 disks to install. So in my experience.....the most current software may not be installed on your machine, but it is included with the purchase so that you can do it yourself.