Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
South America
CompUser said:
I don't know if anyone has said this but why would they change the name of the iBook, and not the iMac?

they both have i's.

Powerbook was changed to MacBook Pro, because the name "PowerBook" does not contain "mac". iMac does, iBook does not.

jbouklas

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2002
NY
April is a long way off...

It's been 170 days since the last iBook revision. April 1 is roughly 80 days away. That brings it to a total of 250 days, or 9 months, between updates. That seems a bit long to me. I want to believe that they'll update the iBook/MacBook/iMacBook/God Help Me laptop WAY before then, like hopefully announce it in a few weeks so I can buy one.

-Jim

dmoney

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2006
Boston
Release Dates

I didn't take the time to read all the posts and I apologize in advance if this is redundant. Im a n00b.

I think that the Macbook and Mac Mini will be released on April Fool's Day.
Power Macs will be announced at the WWDC. I knoe the chips wont be ready but it would be an excellent release time. The iMac and Macbook Pro will be updated at Apple Expo in Paris. Everything dual core.

Dave the Great

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Dr_Maybe said:
Powerbook was changed to MacBook Pro, because the name "PowerBook" does not contain "mac". iMac does, iBook does not.

Ok, I know I will probably get stones thrown at me, but....

Are you sure the MacBook Pro is not a replacement or part of the iBook line-up?

The reasons I ask that are:

1. MBP runs Photoshop ( and any Rosetta program) a lot slower than the PowerBook G4.

2. MBP does not have DL support like the iBook G4 14" and unlike the PowerBook G4.

3. MBP has a slower SuperDrive than PB G4.

4. MBP does not have S-Video out like iBook and unlike PB G4.

5. MBP does not have FireWire 800 like iBook and unlike PB G4.

6. MBP can't run Pro apps.

Just a thought.

ihayden

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Dave the Great said:

1. MBP runs Photoshop ( and any Rosetta program) a lot slower than the PowerBook G4.

2. MBP does not have DL support like the iBook G4 14" and unlike the PowerBook G4.

Just a thought.

Hm Yeah good point but then why would they call it a "Pro" MacBook? iBooks are not for Pros.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
ihayden said:
Hm Yeah good point but then why would they call it a "Pro" MacBook? iBooks are not for Pros.

It's not called a "Pro" MacBook.It's called the MacBook Pro
Meaning there's gonna be a MacBook "Sleek" or some such name 13.3" single core
So its tough enough for the "pro consumer" but not meant to be for the "pro fessional"
The real "Pro"'s will be called the ..*cough*...Powerbook!
just a thought! :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
ihayden said:
But do you honestly think Apple would make the new iBooks look like the Powerbook? Hmm good thoughts though!:D

The grey area being what it was between the iBook and Powerbook..Yes I do.

However the price points make this scenerio highly unlikely.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
dmoney said:
I think that the Macbook and Mac Mini will be released on April Fool's Day.
Power Macs will be announced at the WWDC.
I know the chips wont be ready but it would be an excellent release time. The iMac and Macbook Pro will be updated at Apple Expo in Paris.
Everything dual core.
I'd have to agree with that almost 100%. Xserves would come out at the same time as Power Macs too. Seems to make sense. Apple gave the PBs a tiny kick a few months ago, followed by the push of a 15" in macbook pro, keeping it going until this november.

poegy

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
NAB starts Apr 24, and will see a new media hub (mac mini) announced there.... Also in line with the anniversary and NAB, a new product line will roll out that compliments where Apple has been and where their long term strategies are aligned. This will be a product that has never been seen before... and it will be a portable flash based device that will be able to send and receive digital entertainment content w/ apple's new stricter DRM for Film/TV/Music... more then an iPod & ROKR, but less then the iBook.

The iBook has been dropped... in favor of the MacBook line... which will see its expansion to pro and non pro versions (all w/ dual cores) beginning when Apple's pro apps have gone universal in march. The que de gra will be the redesign of the power mac line over the summer. That shape will begin to echo its way down the entire product line for the remainder of the year... comparable to what BMW did when it announced its 7 series a few years ago and where BMW is today.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Woh, you are very detailed there poegy. Do you know all this for real? Or is it just speculation?

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
poegy said:
... comparable to what BMW did when it announced its 7 series a few years ago and where BMW is today.

Is comparing Apple's industrial design to one of the ugliest cars on the road the best analogy? ;)

However, that digital entertainment device sounds cool...

Marvy

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Germany
steve_hill4 said:
I still believe strongly that the iMac and MacBook Express will go White/Black options. I saw the cover of MacWorld with the mock up of the black iMac and black Mighty Mouse and almost started drooling at the thought.

And as for complaining about rumours, stop coming to a rumours site then.

Oooh, that does look very nice. However, I ordered my iMac already... better get the black can of paint out. :p

Oh, and I wasn't complaining about rumors, that was merely a joke. Should've used a ";) ", I guess.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
Dave the Great said:

Just a thought.

If it was a replacement for the iBook, then it would not have a Pro in the name what so ever. Apple would also not replace a consumer level entry laptop with something that costs 2k and above. That would be the worst thing that they could ever do. If Apple had their cheapest laptop set at 2k. they would lose so many potential switchers and current users as well. I just sold my iBook for hoping that a new one would have been just introduced, that was my bad. But yea they need something 1k or under to keep their market share going up. we WILL see a new iBook or replacement before or on April 1st, you can count on that. If they don, that would be the worst decision that Apple could have ever made.

Marvy

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Germany
GregA said:
I think the next iBooks will have the goal of having the look and feel of iPods. People love the iPods and Apple will want to capitalise on that. When you open a future iBook, I think the bottom of the base section will have the silver finish of the iPod, and your hands will rest on the black or white finish. The screen will resemble the iPod screen. Maybe they'll throw in a pair of iPod headphones too :)

Mmmmmm, that sounds nice, and like a logical step in terms of marketing as well.
Personally, I don't mind the new Mac-whatever names too much. Like someone else stated, there are still loads of people out there that ask me, if my iBook can do windows, and I have to reassure them "No, it's a MAC." (Don't really know if that answers their question either :rolleyes: ).
So maybe Apple will make them look like iPods and call them MacPods. I agree with many in here, that calling them MacBooks will cause a lot of frustration and confusion with the "Pro"-line.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Dave the Great said:

Just a thought.

In short, no.
1. Emulated programs will be slower, wait for the native stuff. Things like office will only show a negligible difference. To be honest it's performance vs G4 photoshop probably isn't that bad.
2 + 3. When are people going to stop going on about the bloody superdrive - they changed the model, deal with it.
4. It has dvi out (unlike the ibook)
5. You're lucky to get fw at all and from what people have been saying 800 is poorly supported and not as much faster as its name suggests.
6. It will in March - if you need to run them in the meantime, don't switch.

The macbook looks like a kneejerk response to the problems that apple was having getting power into the powerbook with the G4. The last revision came and went without an up in speed and that was after all that talk about them dropping in one of the new revised G4s - supposedly abandoned at the last minute because of problems. I'm confident that over the next year we'll see many of the intel based projects that people have been hoping for, including a newly designed entry level laptop - and they can call it the cheap mac for tight wads for all i care as long as it runs OS X and looks like an apple.

ihayden

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
GregA said:
I think the next iBooks will have the goal of having the look and feel of iPods. People love the iPods and Apple will want to capitalise on that. When you open a future iBook, I think the bottom of the base section will have the silver finish of the iPod, and your hands will rest on the black or white finish. The screen will resemble the iPod screen. Maybe they'll throw in a pair of iPod headphones too

That sounds sweet but I don't know about the metalic bottom as you know how many scratches you get on it.... imagine on the bottom of a laptop! I know there are little rubber feet but I still think scratching would be a problem. It would look sooooooo cool though. Cool idea

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
By using a lower Core Duo, like the 1.5 GHZ, I think they can put it in the iBook. remember it won't be out for 2-3 months, so it makes even more sense that the iBook will have a low-end Core Duo, and NOT a Core Single.

I think it could *start* at $999, like the current iBook and have a 13.3" display. Maybe they'll keep the 12-inch as rumors have suggested on Appleinsider, and start it at $999, with a 13-inch widescreen starting at $1399 or something. :)

I think they may enable DVI output with extended desktop on the iBook (MacBook), with the new release? Why? They did it on the iMac. It juts makes sense at this point. The slower processor, lower resolution, smaller hard drive, slower graphic card, etc. will be enough to distinguish, from the Mac Book Pro.

Remember, the Mac Book is suppose to be an all-new design according to Appleinsider I think. Should be interesting, but I'm sure the aluminum MacBook Pro will still take top honors, when it comes to appearance. :)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
poegy said:
NAB starts Apr 24, and will see a new media hub (mac mini) announced there.... Also in line with the anniversary and NAB, a new product line will roll out that compliments where Apple has been and where their long term strategies are aligned. This will be a product that has never been seen before... and it will be a portable flash based device that will be able to send and receive digital entertainment content w/ apple's new stricter DRM for Film/TV/Music... more then an iPod & ROKR, but less then the iBook.

The iBook has been dropped... in favor of the MacBook line... which will see its expansion to pro and non pro versions (all w/ dual cores) beginning when Apple's pro apps have gone universal in march. The que de gra will be the redesign of the power mac line over the summer. That shape will begin to echo its way down the entire product line for the remainder of the year... comparable to what BMW did when it announced its 7 series a few years ago and where BMW is today.

Works for me! :p

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
guerro said:
Maybe the iBook will become iMacBook ? ?

My money is on

MacBook (ne iBook)
MacBook Pro (ne PowerBook)

iMac Mini (ne Mac Mini)
iMac
iMac Pro (ne PowerMac)

Random guessing, but it seems the most consistent and I'm in product marketing so I must be right.

Ahem.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
On thise lines - this might be a reasonable guess as well ... what if they are going with 3 lines. The iBook is dead. The current macbook is the professional version - people who need it for work but not hardcore cimputing. Theibook gets redesigned to be a 13.1 WS ultra light portable. Thenwe have a THIRD line that is above the MacBook Pro. Call it macbook creative or designer or something. Tis would be a fully loaded redesigned alternative to the Powerbook which is BETTER than the macbook pro - in the a 17 and 19 inch size??

That would be sweet and might work to differentiate the lines even better.

Dave the Great said:

Just a thought.

aLbAn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2005
Netherlands
windowuser82 said:
Apple needs to start moving away from the whole iName crap. It's becoming outdated and silly. Software, fine, iNameitwhatever......not hardware. iBooks look like and sound like toys. Macbook sounds more professional and more "up to date". MacBook Pro is a great name. It sells. Powerbook, no, it's too dated and too "tube socks with sandles".

They seem to be on the right track with the names, but in terms of "showing their balls"......the released machines aren't doing it. They look the same, they looked rushed.

Associating an iPod with an iBook and and iMac...etc......fine. It made customers relate the product to the brand to the maker. It serves no purpose anymore.

Ditch the iName's and ditch the "Power" name stuff. Make customers think and relate the new transition with a new period in the Apple world.

...it really makes me wonder why so many people are disappointed with the new intel macs, saying that they were rushed, and still look the same, and that this is a very bad thing.

when you look at apple history, you will see that this has happened a lot of times; to name a few:

Powermac 7300 -> powermac G3
Powermac 8600/9600 -> powermac G3 tower
powerbook 3400 -> powerbook G3
(also, several performa casings were used in powermac designs)
powermac G3 BW -> powermac G4 (different colour though)

...this is just what came to mind without doing any research... but it is clear that what happened last week, was not a unique situation.
furthermore, i simply can not recall any comments back then about those models stated above, being thought of as "rushed" or boring or anything....

A suggestion: i, too, am a sucker for hot apple case designs, but i find it strange to see that people blame Apple as soon as a product update does not encompass a case redesign as well. if you want that, you'd better buy a peecee, so that you can update, replace and mod your case to your hearts' content ;)

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
The iBook line will be called MacBook, as most of us are agreed.

It'll come with a 13" Widescreen, and a 15" Widescreen (lower resolution than the MacBook Pro).

At the same time, MacBook Pro will gain a 2.16GHz 17" version, hopefully with Firewire 800 built in. Possibly there will be a Pro version at 13" as well, but that depends on many factors. It won't have a higher resolution than the 13" MacBook (~1280x800), but it could have discrete graphics (X1600) vs. Integrated (Intel GMA950) and better outputs.

I'd also love to see a 10.6" MacBook Mini.

Anyway, I'm happy there's no replacement for the iBook yet. If it comes in March then it will have been around 8 months since I got mine - that's not too bad a run with a current-model laptop. I'll wait for a later revision of the MacBook (or upgrade to a MacBook Pro) in 2007 before upgrading though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.