ibook rubber pads coming off

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Patrick Bateman, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Patrick Bateman macrumors member

My new ibook is great but the rubber pads underneath each corner are coming off and I'll find one somewhere and just push it back in but then another one will fall off and so on. Any suggestions for me to fix? Thanks.

2. lind0834 macrumors regular

I had to remove mine once to get inside to fix a trackpad problem.. after I put it all back together I lost two of my rubber pads the next week.

I am also interested if anybody has a good solution.

3. Awimoway macrumors 65816

You can order (they're not free) a special wrench from Apple to put them back in. And if the feet are broken, you can order replacements. But they're not free either (although I'm not sure about that if you have AppleCare). You won't find them listed anywhere online. You'll have to call.

But I was told that if you went to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, they would replace them for free. So when I bought an iBook a year ago and then one foot broke off a couple months later, I taped it back on with, of all things, Scotch tape, and it held quite well for over a year. When I moved nearer an Apple Store, I brought it in. However I guess I was misinformed. The guy who helped me said nothing about replacing it, but he did offer to glue the broken foot back on. He took my iBook away to a back room and came back a few minutes later. I honestly wonder if he actually put a new one on but didn't want to let on that they're free. Or maybe he did glue my broken one on. I can't tell. But it's fixed to my satisfaction, and that's all that really matters.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Mine popped out the first day I had my computer, but they just snapped back in again. Did they break or something?

5. Calliander macrumors member

Ahhh... iBook feet. I love those things. At my business, we have so many of them we could throw them instead of rice at weddings.

Find a local reseller and see if they'll give you some new sockets and feet. A lot of times the sockets get damaged and the feet won't stay in no matter what. :)

6. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Sorry for your luck :( I've gotten free feet twice from an apple store. First time a tech guy had two in his pocked and gave them to me, second time he grabbed one out a drawer for me...free of charge. No questions asked or anything...I think the "free feet" myth really relies on how the techies are feeling that day...and if they have any extra lying around.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

i think it depends on the apple store you go to. I've asked for free feet and keys (for laptop keyboards) at the Apple Store @ the Grove and the one at the Third Street Promenade (both in LA) and i got them, the geniuses even helped me put them on. Guess it depends :(

8. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

iBook feet

Although Apple reportedly has a price for iBook FEET, I have never heard of anyone who has not gotten them FREE from either an Apple Store or in the mail from AppleCare, like I did. Glue? If you do, use some rubber type silicon glue because you may need to get to the screws below, so no airplane glue or super glue.

iBook problems: Feet and the
    keys scratching the LCD screen unless you lay a thin mouse pad (not thick or stiff) or a piece of cloth or something across the keys before you close the hatch - it works great!
    :p