ibook screen died??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brsboarder, Sep 22, 2004.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I dont get it, I have a g3 ibook 14in and I opened it up, and the screen was just black, it was working fine. I could see a faint screen but nothing else, I used the f1/f2 button to change the screen brightness but nothing happened. restarted, heard the sounds and everything but nothing on the screen. I can press numlock/capslock and the light comes on but still nothing on the screen. What could have happened? Can it be fixed? What does it cost for a new screen, I suppose the price of an ibook more or less, please help!

2. applekid macrumors 68020

Dead backlights, is my guess.

Apple makes you pay a bundle for new lights (at least on their Displays). I'd check to see what Apple would want you to pay.

I wouldn't surprised to find an iBook disassembly guide to replace the backlight. Good luck.

3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

For some reason I dont think that is it, its only a little over a year old, btw, I didnt get the upgrade warranty, couldnt afford it, so.... could it be the logic board? in which case, im screwed??

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It sounds like you may have a pinched display cable. Does the backlight come on from time to time depending on how far the screen is opened?

I ask this because there are many iBooks that develop a problem where if the screen is moved past 90 degrees or so, the backlight turns off. I had it and they repaired it under Applecare.

If you have the guts, you can buy the parts from Smalldog and repair it yourself, assuming that this is the problem.

Take a look at the Apple Support Forum and go to the iBook section and look for a post called "90 degrees and black" or something like that.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've had similar symptoms with my powerbook and it turned out the battery wasn't properly seated. I had the problem even with the computer plugged in! Try reseating the battery before you try more drastic solutions.

6. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Uhh, hook Your iBook to a external monitor or TV if You see a image Your iBooks Logicboard is fine.

7. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

hooked it up to an external monitor...dead, so, I guess its hopefully/probably my logic board

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My condolences.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Did you try the battery thing? A lot easier to fix than the logic board.

10. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Why screwed? The logic board warranty is through December of this year, or 3 years from purchase, whichever is longer. If your computer was ever covered by the logic board warranty, it still is. Unless you've done something to it that would void the warranty...

Link: http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

there is not much you can do to void that warrenty, i send mine in with mirror film in the lid with a black skull and crossbones with the bottom clear and it came back fixed.

my ibook has been in bits more than a few times.

12. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

call apple. tell them the screen on the iBook doesnt work and you think it is the logic board problem. they will probably take you through a number of steps to properly diagnose it. dont tell them anything except the screen doesnt do anything and hooking it to an external monitor does nothing. they should get you taken care of for free

13. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

did some tests, they said probably logic board, but 10% chance its not, which means im paying a large amount of money to have it fixed, $100 if I dont want it fixed, and starting at $300 if I want it, so, Im just praying its the logic board and nothing else