iBook screen doesn't work at certain angles

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by livingfortoday, Aug 10, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

My mom's iBook G3 has recently started doing this thing where its screen goes dark if you bend it back far enough. Right now the furthest I can open it is so it's at a bit over a 90 degree angle, or else it'll go dark. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It's spent most of its life on a desk, and has never been dropped or anything, so I don't think that anything could have broken.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

The screen cables are pinched while being opened, it was a defect in the heat grilll where the hinges are. Get new cables, and replace the grill or use the iBook without it.

3. Yoyodyne macrumors member

This was common a few years ago, mostly on G3 iBooks but also early G4 models. I think it is the reed switch. See this link. The most common effect was a screen blacking out when opened past 90 degrees.

4. Macfanatic867 macrumors member

Actually, when my parent's ibook did that it was a faulty reed switch that had been pinched too tightly. There was no need to get new display cables. Just a 30 dollar or so reed switch. Now you have to be able to take the entire ibook apart, which with the help of www.pbfixit.com it wasn't soo bad.

5. mac000 macrumors 6502a

you know what ??? things BREAK and they are meant to be replaced!

tell your mom to get a MacBook BC they are the new serious hotness!

6. Yoyodyne macrumors member

Spoken like a true retail associate. Really, it was a flaw in the design and she's lucky it lasted that long. Considering the QC issues with Apple's current portables, if you or someone else is handy with laptops, I would try the cheap replacement. It would be time for an upgrade for most people, but not for the casual internet surfer, etc.

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

MacBook - No way...
    iBook G4 - Smart choice

8. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look around for a reed switch for it. I've replaced one on a G3 iBook before, so it shouldn't be too hard.

9. mac000 macrumors 6502a

HAHA your sense of humor is just too much please, ohh gosh let me catch my breath,

ok. there, for a second i thought you thought getting a iBookG4 was a better idea then getting a MacBook. Phew, ohh gosh what a crazy minute there. i gotta go wipe my forehead. ohh man!

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Umm... why would someone want to fork out over $1000 for a laptop with such light uses?