iBook Screen Hack Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Peter Griffin, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Does anyone know how to turn my external monitor into the main one. I wouold like to place the dock and toolbars in the external. Thanks in advance :D

2. yenko macrumors 6502a

In the Finder; Go to Help; type in "external monitor", hit return.:cool:

3. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

already tried that. i'm pretty certain that the ibook screen hack would not show up in the help section ;)

4. kewpid macrumors regular

Look in System Preferences > Displays. In one of the tabs you should be able to drag across your menubar to the other display.

5. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Same way as other Macs

The "hack" merely enables the standard multi-screen support that's been built into every Mac OS for the last decade (or more?).

Open your Displays (note the PLURAL form here!) control panel under System Preferences. Select he Arrangement tab - both of your monitors should show up to allow you to arrange as desired. One of the monitors (your current main monitor) will have a white menu bar at the top - drag it over to the other monitor to set that one as your main display.

6. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I just started using the hack on my 12 inch iBook, I was also trying to do this and using the advice found here got my menu bar on my main screen but the dock was staying at the bottom.

The only way I can find to do this is to arrange (using the Displays System Prefs) it so the iBook screen is to the left or the right of the MAIN screen and not below it, if it's below the dock sits down there.

Does anyone know of another way to do this? I'd like to be able to drag things staight down to my iBook screen.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If I understand you correctly you want the dock and the menu bar on different screens right? If so you cannot do that. Both are always on the main display. Perhaps you should file a feature request with Apple.

8. sreedy macrumors 6502a

hhhhmmm no that's what I've got!

My menubar is on my external monitor which is above my iBook (in the appearance tab of Displays and physically), the iBook has the dock. If I have some thing on my iBook I can drag the window up to my external monitor...... what I want here is still to be able to drag up and have the dock on the external display.

The only way I get something like this is to have the Display appearance with the iBook to the left of the external display and I have to drag left to right which is not where the ibook physically..... which messes with my head.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wow cool! I didn't think it did that. Anyway whichever you have got you can't have the other as you can't drag the dock around in the Display Preferences window :(

10. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Poo! Ah well looks like side to side dragging for me! Still love the feature and the hack is excellent.

11. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

If I understand you, you have your external monitor (now your main monitor) set ABOVE your iBook screen, but want the dock to appear when you cross the threshhold from your iBook to your external?

If you understand that screen spanning in the OS creates a giant "virtual" screen, what you what is for the dock to appear in the MIDDLE of this virtual screen.

As was stated before, the dock always appears in the main screen WITH THE EXCEPTION of never appearing at the intersection between the two screen - i.e. the center of this new "virtual screen" - in this case it moves to the edge of the "virtual screen".

Thus in your setup you have your external "main" screen above your iBook screen, so when you set the dock to appear on the bottom, it travels to the bottom of the "virtual" screen (the bottom of the iBook screen).

12. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the clarification, when you think of it like that it makes sense.

I'll stick to side by side from now on..... I'm getting used to it now

13. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular