ibook screen has gone almost black

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dirtpatch, Aug 19, 2004.

1. dirtpatch macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2004
    I can barely see anything on my computer screen. It has gone almost completely black. I went to the apple store yesterday and they told me to contact apple care to get this fixed. However, it is only two years old and i am wondering if i am better off buying a new ibook. It seems that i have issues with my battery as well as the screen. I was wondering also if anyone knows if i can fix this screen issue myself of need to contact apple care anyway. thanks for your help.

::are we there yet?::
  2. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
  3. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
  4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    This same problem happened to my coworker. Although under normal circumstances you have to pay for this repair, its best to call Apple and claim its under the Logic Board issue. Info here http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ . At the least you will have given it a shot.

The problem is from your backlight. They SHOULD last much longer than 2 years under normal use, so there IS a problem there. But as the warranty is 1 year and you did not buy AppleCare extended warranty, this may be an issue. In the case of my coworker, he had to do some calling around within Apple, but after 4 calls, got the problem taken care of and just sent his iBook off to be repaired free of charge.