ibook screen help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by barhnt, Jan 5, 2004.

1. barhnt macrumors member

my screen is fine on my ibook g3 700 as long as i do not push the screen past horazontal. If i do it goes black. If i pull it forward a little it is fine again. what could cause that to happen.?

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Sounds like you may have a faulty cable that runs to the screen. Do you have applecare?

3. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

It depends where you go to. Im not even sure that is the problem, but I think it will be somewhat expensive.

Are you still within a year of purchase, because if you are, you can still buy applecare.

5. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

6. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

i called my local apple dealer and they said if that is the problem i would have to purchase a whole new screen for 800 dollars!!!! they said they can not just replace a cable!! i am calling apple directly. i mean **** the computer cost 1200 dollars why on earth should i have to pay 800 plus labor for a whole new screen?

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

No. You don't have to buy a new screen. If I were you, I would take it to an authorized apple repair shop and have them fix it. Apple charges way too much.

8. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

it was an apple authorized repair shop. they said apple will not let them just order the cable. this sucks. i have been on hold with apple for 30 minutes now!!

9. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

It might not even be a damaged cable. It couls just be getting pinched by the hinge. Anyway, I have come to realize iBooks are not that reliable. If you call apple, try to get the manager (or head person) on the phone. They can be a lot more helpful

10. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

thank you very much. I finally hung up after being on hold for 40 minutes. I will try again later in this matter. Since i have bought 3 computers from them in the latst 13 months I would think they would be willing to work with me on this. because at 800 for the part and 140 dollars flat fee for working on laptops plus tax it damn near adds up to the cost of another computer! That makes no sense what so ever. not to mention the computer just turned 1 year old 3 weeks ago. had this problem happened then I would have been good to go. but is'nt that always the way it goes.

11. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

where would i find instructions on how to take the hinge apart so that i could unpinch the cable if that is the case. At least then i could fix it here at home for free and not have to deal with the headaches.

12. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

How bad is the problem?? You might just want to leave it as it is. iBooks are VERY tricky to take apart it is even harder to remember where the forty or so different screws belong.

13. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

i think i can resolve the problem. I found the cable at powerbooktech.com

Display Data Cable for iBook 500/600/700/800ÊÊÊÊ$50
    The video display cable, and the microphone for a 12.1" 500/600/700/800 MHz iBook.

I am going to another apple authorized repair shop tomarrow to see if we can order the cable and have it replaced if need be. hopefully it is just pinched and can be salvaged, but if not at least i know i can get the cable with out buying another display unit. thank yo again for your help. I will let you know what i find out.

14. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Maybe you should have them open up the computer first just to confirm the problem.

Either way,Good luck!;)