iBook screen in trouble.... HELP!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by onlydroops, Sep 22, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    Last night I closed my iBook and set it on the desk as usual and this morning when I opened it up, the display was grainy so I shut it off and turned it back on ... this time it was still grainy but with clear grey "sheets" streaming down the display. So I reset again and this time the display didn't even turn on... what do I do? Take it into an Apple store?

Is there anything I can do on my own? This seems pretty bad.
  2. macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    What happens if you plug it into an external monitor or to a TV?
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    I'll have to try that out when I get home.

The only external monitor I have is for a PC. It's an NEC. Will that work?
  4. macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2003
    Historic Norcross
    You'll need the converter cable that came with your iBook to plug the jack from the monitor into and then plug that into the "video in" (sorry, I don't know their official names) port on your iBook (between the first USB and external speaker ports).
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 3, 2003
    East Coast, USA
    Sounds like a bad video card or logic board. Get it to an Apple store or repair center asap. I seem to remember your other posts stating you are new to Macs so I am assuming your iBook i still in it's 1 year warranty.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    I am new to Macs, but this is my wife's iBook which was bought over a year ago. Think something like this will be expensive to repair? I guess I'll have to take it in to see...
  7. dcb
    macrumors member

Aug 29, 2003
    It sounds like a logic board failure...cost - about $600USD depending on what model you have.
  8. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
  9. macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Canada GTA
  10. macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    Basically, in a personal computer, the motherboard contains the bus, integrated circuits, and the microprocessor, used to control any built in peripherals such as the keyboard, text and graphics display, various ports(i.e. USB/Firewire/Serial) and mouse interfaces.
    As suggested above, seek assistance from an Apple reseller.
  11. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    That's what I thought it was. I know what a motherboard is, just didn't know if logic board was the same thing ;)