iBook Screen Real Estate: As seen by Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jay42, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Okay, I KNOW the 12" and 14" iBooks HAVE THE SAME REAL ESTATE. However, check out the attached pic from Apple's store. Am I missing something, or does it appear that the 14" has more room (on the sides of the dock). I assume Apple just made the dock smaller on the 14 before taking the picture, but I think its a little misleading. I apologize in advance if I'm missing something really obvious.

Attached Files:

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You're right. The picture does give that impression

3. macmanmatty macrumors regular

I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
    I think we actually get more real estate this time. :) If you notice the length between menu bars a the top is longer on the 14 inch just as with the power books. Think that means we get more viewable area with this update.

4. Jay42 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jay42

Really?!? *suddenly shows new interest* Did anyone else notice this, or did I just miss it in all the other commotion?

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I noticed it right away, when i first went to the site.

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Nope, sorry. They both have the same resolution, despite the larger physical size of the 14". So in reality, the icons in the dock may all be the same size as those on the 12"... but they'll end up being a lower resolution.

**I too was very excited about this... only to find the ibook is still chained to a 1024x768 display.**

Check the bottom, under Display

7. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

1024x768 on the 14" is still fine, people please quit whining, only supernerds would worry about such things.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Umm... This is an online computer forum. ;)

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I agree.

LOL - "supernerds" haha :p

10. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

And how would you categorize all of us here? ;)

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Three replies within three minutes. You've gotta love this place. :D

12. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

This is a classic response.

13. lorkp macrumors member

I thought the same thing too when I saw that picture.

14. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Ya, nothing on the Apple site is really in proportion. They just copy and paste those screenshots into the images of the machines later on. If you notice, the docks are the same size relatively, but they are not proportional as they should be.

15. Sttesuhc macrumors member

Apple and Marketing Tactics

Maybe this is the wrong place to bring it up, but it seems like Apple takes great liberties with the truth. I've been using Macs for years now, and it seems like they're great at finding ways of misleading people. Generally I feel like I'm aware of their tactics, and I like their products, so it doesn't bug me too much.

But, for instance, a recent trip to the Apple Store reveals that most machines I sampled were beefed up with additional RAM, even though the stock models come with less. I'm sure every comp. store does this as well, but considering how much the sales staff tries to sell the Macs, it seems pretty sneaky to pull a bait and switch like that, esp. since RAM is precious with OS X.

Sorry if this is OT or the wrong thread.

I am eagerly hoping someone will uncover an extra inch of screen space on the 14" iBook. :)

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You're right, Jay. That picture of Apple's is really misleading and I'm a little upset about it. The 12'' and 14'' iBooks still have the same screen resolution.

It is only fair to point out, though, that if the dock is smaller in relation to the screen, the dock is still the same size but you have slightly more screen space to work with.

17. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Okay guys, sorry bout that comment, lol, but what I meant is, we all buy our computers/electronics for a reason, and that is simply to enjoy them. And although macrumors is a GREAT website to find all the info you could ever want on Macs and buying tips and the like, at the end of the day, when we constantly pick at things like the 12" and 14" having the same resolution or every little spec of hardware, it could potentially prevents us from simply enjoying the products as they are.

Likewise, this is a computer forum, heheh, I know, but we should all just enjoy OSX, whether or not you're using a 14" iBook or a 17" powerbook ;)

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nicely said MUCKYFINGERS. No need to apologise either, we're all just having a bit of fun. :D

19. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

By the way, what part of Aussie are you from? I have family in Perth (they're Indonesian-born Chinese but they made their way over to Perth to study at unis and such).

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

At the moment I'm floating around South Australia visiting family but generally I like to keep to Sydney these days.

21. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I heard some not so terribly nice things about Sydney actually (horror stories about some of the homeless people harassing my cousins), but I've also heard it's pretty fun, as is Melbourne according to the same people.

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No problems with homeless people so far but hopefully I'll be moving to Perth within the year. I love that place, great weather. :)

23. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Yea, just look at the empty space in the middle of the menu bars on each screen. That definetly means more real estate it seems to me. I could be wrong, though. Maybe Apple purposely modified the screenshot to make it look like there is more room. Whatever. I'm getting the 14", more real estate or not! :cool: