iBook screen shaking/wobbling

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jeff_siler, Aug 20, 2005.

1. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Ive had my ibook for almost a week now and I am loving it. I had a quick question for you all of an issue that I have been thinking about since I started typing on my ibook.

When typing the screen shakes just a little bit forward and backward. I completely understand why it does this (due to the hinge design) and do not consider it a flaw.

My question is, I have my iBook sitting on a large oval computer desk ( http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/10/l_ca_redrocketdesk.jpg ), where my main PC and CRT are. THe desk isnt the most firm desk, and it shakes a little bit. I like to have the iBook screen open and running so i can multitask with my desktop machine and my apple. When I type on my keyboard (also on the desk) the iBook screen shakes like I am typing on the ibook.

Should I be worried about wearing out the hinge? Do you guys experience the same thing when your iBook is on your desk and not in use? Would a custom stand help?

thanks so much,

Jeff

2. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you either have a wobbly desk or your iBook's hinge is loose... if it's the latter I'm sure you can take it to an Apple store to get it looked at?

3. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Its really just a wobbly desk. The hinge is like other iBooks i have used (and powerbooks).

My question really is if I should be worried about having the iBook on a semi-wobbly desk.

jeff

4. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I didn't fully understand your post.

But yeah, if I were you I'd try to get a sturdier desk just to be on the safe side. I'm not exactly sure how a custom stand would help if it were still on an unsturdy surface.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd get a sturdier desk. It's not good for any computer to be shaken around. My iBook's hinge is pretty tight and since you're saying yours is about normal, I'm assuming that the desk is really quite shaky. Invest in a new one for the sake of the iBook and the desktop. :)

6. JonMaker macrumors regular

I second that. At least try using your iBook on something else to see if it makes a difference.

7. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Its definitly more sturdy on my kitchen table :) Although my desk is wobbly its not more than when I use it in my lap. I'm sure it will be fine until I can pickup a new desk from Ikea in a month or so. I can't imagine its gonna be harmful to have my screen shake a little, since its less force then actually typing on my lap.

All your ibooks (and powerbooks) wiggle a little bit when typing on them right?

jeff

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, but not at all. :eek:

9. California macrumors 68040

California

Put a piece of cardboard under the errant leg. And then get a Macally ice pad stand that is very sturdy for better angled typing on Pbooks or iBooks. 20 bucks new.

10. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually the base is stable. Its the actuall display that moves a little.

jeff

11. California macrumors 68040

California

You have a hinge problem, then. I'm typing now on a new iBook on my lap, and no appreciatable "shaking" or wobbling. Send back to Apple.

12. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesnt shake on my lap, only one a firm service when the only movable part is the hinge.

From the different ibooks that I have used, including onese in the apple store, this is not a unique problem to my ibook.