ibook screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by davidgilmour, Aug 25, 2005.

1. davidgilmour macrumors member

Hi all,
    I am gonna buy an ibook. But I read some horrendous stories about the screen breaking and showing Matrix like errors on the screen.
    And Apple says: there is no problem.

Are these issues fixed now? I am in Holland and we get a 2 year warranty on all items (even though apple says it's one year, yeah right, we have a law here, don't be fooled to buy a $400 one year extended warranty..... ).

Anyone wanna give me some advice?

thanks !

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Get it. If there's a screen problem (it's rare, but it happens), they'll replace/fix it promptly. :)

3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    IF U are really concerned, get the extended apple care

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

davidgilmour gets two years by law, so I personally wouldn't bother paying the extra cash. :p

5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Like mad jew said it is extremly rare and is cover by your one year warrenty. The screen is faboulous, so i would be concerned about how good the iBook is. :D

6. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

7. bjoern_kah macrumors newbie

perhaps the screen is "ok" but it's really not "fabulous". but i will give it a second try as soon as there will be ibooks in german stores. until now ibooks are still only available via mail order.

i sent back the ibook i ordered because of the dim, reddish screen. but i stiil would like to buy one. but i would not deal with apples display warranty. i had to send in my whitespot-powerbook several times. that means that i bought an powerbook and could not use ist for more than 6 weeks while it was repaired...

8. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

well, i took the gamble and just ordered one for 958 euros ( web price is 1039 euros ) thanks to my 8% discount card :) .
    I am only gonna use the laptop for watching dvd's and playing Macmame on it. A laptop I can take with me when I am on holiday. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh yeah, and I might use it for wireless internet too if it can work with my PC but that probably will be a crime to set up!

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Explain what you want and what you have and we may be able to help though. :)

10. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Wireless networking with PC is super easy. iBook will see your network, ask you to connect, and your on. It will see shared drives from your pc, etc. Post some questions if you need and you will get good help on this forum.

11. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

alright. I went to the apple store and saw the powerbook. This baby looks so awesome ! I bought a Tucano 12 inch slim protection case. Then I went home and cancelled my order :D. Here I am now in doubt.

I wanna use the mac for macmame (16 bit games only, some 32 bit games too like dondonpachi), wifi internet, watching DVD's and use it as a store device on holidays for my photos and videos.

So what should I do? I will use my P4 2.6 Ghz PC as a main device and use the mac as a toy. I found the ibook to be a little bit 'cheapish' when I had it in my hands compared to the powerbook 12 inch. Is this true or is it just the plastic look? Does the powerbook justify the $500 price difference ?

Please give me some good advice :). About the wifi, I bought this
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B0001LS0ZU/all/102-9930593-6236923
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008SCFL/102-9930593-6236923?v=glance

Will this combination work with my PC and mac ?

Thanks for helping me out with both questions guys ! :D

12. Hattig macrumors 65816

My iBook is working nicely with my Linksys router.

Why have you bought a USB wireless adapter? Why not get an iBook with it built-in? Well, you can't buy an iBook without it built-in ...

And I prefer the look of the 12" iBook to the 12" Powerbook. It is perfectly rugged, the battery life is good, and most of everything else is the same.

I use my iBook for work, for programming and so on. It certainly isn't a toy. You'll find yourself not using your PC after a few weeks.

13. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

I got it for free with the router :D . I can use that in my PC can I?