iBook seems faster than 2.4 Macbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pugple, Mar 4, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Feb 20, 2008
    I just got my new Macbook. Been installing stuff on it and it seems to go reaaaaaally slow. I installed quicksilver and whenever I pull it up and start typing it'll be really slow and show the rainbow wheel and won't respond for a few seconds. It's always pretty quick on my ibook. :(

Also, after moving stuff to application, the entire system freezes for a 15-30 seconds.

My iBook seems a lot faster with all these problems. :( What the heck is going on? :(
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2005
    You need to be more specific about your problem. It could be the hard drive, bad logic board, a software problem, or you could be imagining things.
  3. macrumors 604

Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA

How much RAM? Have you updated? Are you running Leo? :confused:
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 20, 2008
    It's a 2.4ghz macbook, 2gb ram and running leopard.

I have no idea what's wrong with it. :p and it's not me imagining things either. :(
  5. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    All i can say is to look at the logs and the activity monitor, likely something is sucking CPU cycles (or erroring repeatedly.)

Edit: hopefully the HD indexing isn't stuck in rut.
  6. macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    If you just got it then it's probably indexing the HDD for Spotlight. If there's a little pulsing dot in the middle of your Spotlight icon then it's doing the full index - usually takes a while and once it's done your machine is lightning fast but it's slow as molasses while it's going on.
  7. macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    Yep like the above post said.

It's probably indexing. Let it work and later it should be fast. :)
  8. macrumors member

Nov 21, 2007
    Your problem may be related with old Power PC applications. Try to avoid programs that run in emulation mode.