iBook seriously heating up!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by snooziums, Oct 17, 2005.

1. snooziums macrumors regular

Hiya

I have an iBook 12" 1.25 GHz model. Well it seems to be seriously overheating. The keyboard and the area to the left of the track-pad is seriously hot to the touch, and when the keyboard is popped out, the metal plate under it is so hot that it burns after just a few seconds!

Is this normal? I make sure that the underside is not clogged, and have even tried to prop that back up a bit with a small book laying on its site to allow for more room underneath.

Any suggestions?

=^.^=

2. California macrumors 68040

California

Soemthing's wrong. Is the fan kicking on? How much memory do you have and do you still have Applecare?

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yeah iBooks shouldn't be hot... just warm in my experience.

4. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

My 1.07ghz gets very hot it will burn you if you touch flesh to the bottom of it.

5. Lazyhound macrumors regular

That's the hard drive, it usually gets kind of warm.

6. crazyjoeda macrumors member

I dont have an iBook but my freind does and I use it quite a bit, its never hot just a bit warm mainly on the bottem. Your's is definetly messed up.

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I have a astronomy program that requires Classic OS 9. When I shut the program down, I discovered Classic didn't shut down with it. My iBook was gettting very hot, but not hot to the touch. Check Activity Monitor to see if that or whatever else is running to make your computer so hot.

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Go to versiontracker.com and download an app called tmeperature monitor. Anything above 60-64C is not normal.

9. Jackk macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me few times (Ibook g4 14"). Then my logicboard fried. Take backups as soon as possible.