iBook - Should I get one?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jive, Aug 18, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2006
    I've found one for sale for £300. It's 12" with what I suspect is 512Mb and a standard HD (30Gb? 40Gb?). I may or may not need a laptop for Uni (probably not) but I really do like the looks of a iBooks - it'd sit next to my iMac nicely.

So yeah, is it worth it or will it crawl slowly? I'd be taking notes/typing outside/browsing the net/some itunes useage. Can it handle it?
  2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Sep 4, 2005
    It will do fine, for what you want.

But just remember, in a few years, updates are going to become scarce - and it will suffer with new universal app's that will most likely require a G5 to run sufficiently.

Your also probably throwing money away in the long run - it will sell for very little after maybe 18 months use.

I would rather save for a Refurb. MacBook and gain all the extras that come with it - and be future-proofed.
  3. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Jul 15, 2006
    I agree with the above, save up and get yourself a Macbook, it will suit you better in the long-run!

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    $565 seems like a good price for an iBook G4. What kind of CPU does it have- if it is a 12" model and comes with a 40GB HDD, then it most likely has a 1.33GHz PowerPC G4.

For your stated uses the iBook should be fine. But be sure to upgrade the RAM to at least 1GB. :)
  5. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    The price is right. And the footprint is very apealing if you will be running around with it.
  6. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    don't buy it unless it's at least a 1GHz g4 ibook. oh and don't touch 14" ones unless you have terrible eyesight.
  7. Lau Guest

I'd be tempted to wait unless it's an amazing deal – save the cash and see what you might need once you get to uni. What uni is like will always be different to what think it will be like, and you might find you never use a laptop. Or you might find you would use it loads, and therefore selling your iMac for a MacBook/MacBook Pro would be better.

You're in the lucky situation of already having a computer, so you won't be stuck, so I would say wait and see how you work when you get there.
  8. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Er, even if it's the lowest possible spec iBook I'm sure it could handle browsing the net and a bit of typing!
  9. tektonnic macrumors 6502

Mar 6, 2006
    Bucks, UK
    I have a 12" iBook 900mhx with 640mb RAM, use it for surfing and writing at uni, its brilliant, can take it anywhere, its light, absolutly perfect for on campus usage.

Although if your buying for the sake I might hold off, purely as if its anything like my uni (Surrey Uni) its pretty impossible to not have access to a computer.

So I guess you probably don't need it! But if you want it I would very much recommend them.

Presumably you won't be taking your iMac?

Just to clear something up, in the UK at least, I am yet to see anyone in a lecture (im just going into my 4th year) with a laptop.
  10. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2006
    I'm taking my iMac to Halls with me, but I'm not sure on how useful a laptop would actually be... It's just 'cos it was offered to me at £300...
  11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    I had every intention of getting a MacBook or MBP to replace my Dell laptop but I managed to get hold of a G4 iBook for a little over £300 and my complete computer line up is getting a make over. I've realised that I'd rather have a big powerful computer at home and a small portable laptop for on the move. If its a G4 and its in good shape then go for it. You can always sell it for a profit (about £450-£500 on eBay) if you don't like it. If its a G3 then I wouldn't really bother. There's a big difference between a G4 and a G3, particularly the early G3 iBooks imo.