ibook slow opening websites?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jul 28, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I noticed sometimes my new updated 14" ibook (512 mb ram) takes a long time to open simple websites like google and gmail and apple.com. i have to hit stop and refresh, and then they open up quickly. is this a common thing or is my ibook defective in a way?

2. macrumors newbie

You should check your internet connection, your router, which browser are you using?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Safari.

4. macrumors 601

ITASOR

Slow compared to what? To IE on a PC, yes it is slower. Are you comparing it to a PC or another Mac?

5. macrumors 65816

stridey

Your iBook is not the problem. The problem is either your network or your browser (a lot of people report Safari being very slow)

6. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm seeing this problem a lot lately too. I think it's too easy to blame Safari, which works just fine most of the time. I've also seen connect times to smtp servers taking as long as ten seconds. I had my ISP look into this but to no avail. Oddly enough, I don't see these effects with Airport connections, which theoretically should be slower. I only see it on the wired Ethernet side of the router. Can anybody figure that?

ADSL, 10.3.9, Snow Base Station.

7. macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Sounds more like an issue with your internet provider rather than Safari or your iBook.

8. macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

During prime hours Apple.com does take a long time to open but that is the only site that takes its time for me even using Firefox.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Macrumors takes awhile for me sometimes. It's mainly google.com, apple.com, and macrumors.com

10. macrumors 6502a

spinne1