iBook Slow to Start, Now it's 1969...?!?!?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tagmunkee, Jan 29, 2004.

1. tagmunkee macrumors newbie

So I tried to start my day this morning by turning on my iBook (900mhz), only to be greeted by a very unpleasant unresponsiveness of my power button. I finally got it to turn on (how? chais pas.) after running the gamut of computer voodoo: hitting the trusty ctr-opt-shft combo a few times, pulling out the power plug (which turned from its trusty "charged" green to warning orange, then back to green), and finally badabingbadaboom.

Buuut, now that it's on and I am ready to make a service call to figure out why the trusty chicken foot of a power button is on the fritz, I notice that strangely my desktop calendar has disappeared.

Oh, wait, I'm sorry. It's there, but I must wait 35 years to get up to speed. That's right, boys and girls. It's 1969.

WTF. Help?

It seems many of my settings (including margin guides) are MIA....thanks in advance.

2. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Often when my 'Book used to crap out (not start, shut down badly) the date goes back to the earliest date possible, December something 1969... Go into your Date/Time Settings and select the synchronize with Network Time Server option and you'll be alright.

I know this sounds dumb, but it has happened to me a few times and I never thought about it until it happened to my sister as well.

If your sound is muted when you turn ur 'Book off, you'll never hear the startup chime. From time to time I'd actually wind up turning it off before the grey logo screen came up because I didn't hear the Start Up Chime.

Just a thought.

macboyX

3. theahnman macrumors member

power manager problem

I was just at the Apple Store last night because of my 5-day old 12" PB was feared to be dead. However it seemed to have been a problem with the Logic board. The in-house Mac Genius informed me that the date resetting was a feature. The purpose of this feature would be to inform you that the logic board had been reset. I.e. all power had been cut off to your iBook completely. You may want to get it checked out.

Just my $0.02