ibook SMART STATUS: failing!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by irishgrizzly, May 15, 2006.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

May 15, 2006
    Hi, long time reader, first time poster.

I've got a 2 year old G4 ibook (1.07GHz running OS 10.4.6) My problem started with my fans being permanently on, despite no heat issues. I zapped the PRAM and reset the PMU. Still on and noisy.

Read a few conflicting reports about dust in the innards, faulty logic-boards and just that older fans just get louder.

Today the hard-drive sounds like it's constantly working even when I'm doing nothing and alarmingly after trying to repair permissions my SMART status says failing.

This ever happen to you? Is my hard-drive about to die? Thanks for any advice.
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Not in any of my personal Macs, but some clients', yes. Yes, it will die eventually. You need to back up your data ASAP, because it could die with your next click, or last another few months...you never know. Make a backup and get a new HD installed.
  3. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    you should be backing up your hard drive asap!
  4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    My PowerBook's drive reported as Failing a few nights ago too. :( Good thing I'm getting a Mac mini within two weeks. After that, I'll be replacing the drive for my Adobe CS work (Rosetta probably won't cut it on the mini). Anyway, yes, back-up as much data as you can! I have all my photos and music on my external drive, so I'm safe when this drive dies.

It's kind of sad to think it's slowly dying, too... :( Best of luck to you!