Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I was reading MR today when my kernel panicked. * I guess a tornado just passed. Hmm...* Anyway, when I restarted it the startup chime didn't sound. * There go the sirens again. Heading to the basement... * Now the speakers sound raspy and nasty. Also, my screen has been acting up lately. It will suddenly blink out and only recovers when I close and open the top. I'm planning on looking into these problems myself since I am both out of warranty and cash. If anyone could suggest possible solutions to this problem or the best method of getting into my 'book I would greatly appreciate it. I'm pretty handy at taking things apart, so with the help of the great MR community, I hope to perform this surgery relatively painlessly. It's a 500 Mhz model purchased July of 2001.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I've isolated it to the left speaker. I think the diaphram may have busted. Anyone know where to get a speaker for a decent price?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
wtf, you are typing this during a tornado, and your on the computer, i would have my ass in a bathtub praying for myl ife, lol. anyways, could your laptop may have been zaped by lightning, or where you browsing wirelessly.

iJon

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Ha. I was wireless and was working in the basement during the tornado. As far as I can tell, it wasn't caused by any external power issues (eg. lightning). However, I'm still wondering if the speaker blowing caused the kernel panic or if there was some circuit discharge that caused the speaker problem and the kernel panic.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Kyle?
Ha. I was wireless and was working in the basement during the tornado. As far as I can tell, it wasn't caused by any external power issues (eg. lightning). However, I'm still wondering if the speaker blowing caused the kernel panic or if there was some circuit discharge that caused the speaker problem and the kernel panic.
zap your pram, apple option p r, zap it about 3 times.

iJon

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I'm pretty sure it's just the speaker right now. I'm searching for parts on ebay. It's a hardware issue, the pram just ain't gonna do it.

macmasterxiv

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
Ya, my left speaker just started screwing up the way you said. I wonder if this is a defect. I'm going to the apple store and having a genius look at it.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Heh. Completely forgot about this thread.

Update. The speaker "healed" itself. I missed iJon's post and ordered a speaker off ebay. He was probably right about the pram as it appears now. Try his suggestion, macmaster14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.