iBook standby problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by michael666, Apr 6, 2004.

1. michael666 macrumors member

Since a couple of weeks, my iBook (G3) won't go to standby mode any more. It did previously, and I didn't change any settings. They are still set to automatic for both battery and power chord use. When I leave my iBook alone, the screen will turn off after a while, but the iBook itself doesn't switch to standby anymore, with the flashing white lamp. If I close the display, however, there are no problems, and also manually setting the iBook to sleep works perfectly. Any help?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Just a guess, but go into system preferences and change your sleep settings. It doesn't matter how you set them. Then change them back to how you want them. That might do the trick. Also, if you flash the PRAM, one of the things that gets erased is the power management settings so give that a try if the first thing doesn't work.

3. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

If your energy saver settings are okay, look in Activity Monitor to see what's running (and might keep it awake). I have problems off and on with a "(null)" process that keeps my computer from sleeping. Force-quitting that fixes the problem for me.

4. michael666 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for your help. With the Activity Monitor, I found the cause of my problems: I had turned on the XGrid agent all the time, and this seems to prevent the computer from falling to sleep. Turning it off solved everything.