iBook startup chime... then nothing :(

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by risc, Oct 6, 2005.

1. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi all,

I just got a call from my sister and she told me her iBook has just died. It is a Rev A iBook G4 1 GHz 14" running 10.3.9 and basically what is happening is it is powering up, doing the start up chime, then sitting at a grey screen then nothing, I haven't had a chance to look at it and was just wondering if any of you might point me in a direction to look, the notebook has AppleCare so she can take it back to Apple if she needs too. It was working perfectly yesterday and this just happened today when she powered it on.

Any help would be well received.

Cheers all!
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Try resetting PRAM or booting into Open Firmware. Also, put your ear up to it and see whether you can hear the drive going.

When my iBook died, I discovered that it was still fully booting up - I had MSN in my startup sequence and it was signing into my account. I just couldn't see anything on the screen.

Anyway my grammar's screwing itself up, which means I need sleep!
  3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Startup from the install DVD and do a diagnostic test. If this comes up clean... Then there probably is something gone bad in the os. So do a archive and install and it should be good to go. Else your harddisk could be bad.