Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
Ok, Heres the deal.
I was able to start up, reset the pram/pmu, and ran fsck. It then started up. But, the same problem persists. If it goes into sleep, or is shut down, it does not want to start back up. Most of the time, pressing the power button will get me nothing but the ability to light up the caps lock key. However, occasionally it will start up. Sometimes it will only start the hdd and cdrom drive, but at least things are moving. Other times it will begin to start up, but with no startup chime, and then hang on the grey apple screen. I have found that if i squeeze the bottom corners of the ibook when I hit the powerbutton, it will start up more often that if I wasent squeezing it. It seems to help more to squeeze next to the cd rom drive, which is odd. I have to continue squeezing until I see the blue background come up. Fsck says the drive is fine. I am thinking more and more that this is an hardware issue. But, because I do not have to squeeze over the hard drive, I am worried that something else is broken. Occasionally, when it is in the "only power for the capslock key" mode, I can hear a clicking comeing from inside. It does not however, seem to origonate from the hard drive. I just dont know what to do. I have backed up a disk image onto an external drive, in the hopes that I will only have to replace the hard drive. Please help me! this is ruining my life! (yes, this computer is a huge, 90% of my life)

clamshell ibook, tangerine, 300mhz, 3.1gb ibm hdd, 288mb ram, cdrom drive, 10.3.7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.